Greetings from the frozen north

Who are you and where do you come from? :)

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Greetings from the frozen north

Postby adosorken on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:01 pm

I go by many names, but in the online gaming world, I am known as Adosorken. I hail from the tiny little northeastern USA state of Vermont. Been a ROSE player on and off since the old official iROSE days, and was one of the closed beta testers for eROSE before its spectacular crash and burn. I took a break from ROSE for awhile after that, but the memories never die so I went looking again. Played AruaROSE for quite some time, back when it was split into three servers. Old computer died and the new one had a tiny hard drive so I quit playing until I got a bigger hard drive. Now, with a better computer, I decided to play again. So, played for awhile, then figured I'd check out what other builds there were. Messed around with AlegaROSE for a couple of days... crazy XP there but really breaks quests in the process. Settled down with naROSE/ROSE Online for about a week before curiosity got the best of me and I went hunting again. That's when I found out about this place.

The idea of having my own ROSE game is something that has been on my mind since even before eROSE tanked. A few of us used to talk about it on the forum, and also joke about this one chowderhead who said he'd run his own server and showed a pic of a couple of circuit boards dangling from the walls. Good times. :)

So I started by looking over this forum for anything that could be of use in terms of setting up a server. I found a really old build from 2007 which, naturally, did not run. I found some source code that looked promising, but after about 6 hours of attempting to get it to build, gave up in desperation as it just produced error after error in MSVC14 (and MySQL Connector/C wouldn't build in it anyway). So I poked around the forum some more and found another recent server build, which I snagged and got running after getting MySQL Server running and a database built and populated. I'm still trying to get a client put together to work with it, but I'm sure that with a bit of effort, research, and good old fashioned dumb luck, I'll get it working and finally fulfill that little dream of mine. Once I have it perfected, I would like to truly create my own version, just like that Chinese ROSE build. :)

I am a rather competent coder in my own right, though primarily for older platforms. I'm currently one of the code monkeys over at Saru Studio, and have worked on many coding projects in the past. Online gaming, however, has always been like a black box for me, so this is a chance for me to expand my repertoire. Of course, I will document every step of the way on my journey to fulfill this quest, so the knowledge can spread and ROSE can stay alive for as long as possible. :)
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: Greetings from the frozen north

Postby PurpleYouko on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Welcome aboard.

Nice to see another coder join the ranks.
As I said in response to your other thread, I'm thinking of releasing a fully working client/server along with source code for both. I've been developing it on and off for about 3 to 4 years and currently have it in a state where the client is finally stable. It still needs a ton of work before it gets me to where I really want it to be but it is at least a fully playable rose game based on the Malaysia 137 client and a throwback osrose server that's a mix between Rev 81 and KTRose plus a whole load of new content.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Bless on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 am

PurpleYouko wrote:Welcome aboard.

Nice to see another coder join the ranks.
As I said in response to your other thread, I'm thinking of releasing a fully working client/server along with source code for both. I've been developing it on and off for about 3 to 4 years and currently have it in a state where the client is finally stable. It still needs a ton of work before it gets me to where I really want it to be but it is at least a fully playable rose game based on the Malaysia 137 client and a throwback osrose server that's a mix between Rev 81 and KTRose plus a whole load of new content.

Sounds promising. I hope to see it soon :)
Bless
Pomic
Pomic

Postby WiseGuy on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:19 pm

@adosorken: Welcome aboard

Great news PY
Please hit me for testing :)
It is nice to be important
but very very important to be nice
WiseGuy
Pomic