Starting my first server

How do you use the forum? Also Technical News.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is NOT a forum where you post a technical questions about osRose, osiRose or ospRose. Use the dedicated forum for that!

Starting my first server

Postby mrgurgle on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 am

Hi, just registered on this forum =)
A wanna lern to make a server cause of the learning and so I can have a rose LAN with my frends some time. The think is that I like to "work" away from home so I use a 3gmodem. At home I have a router where I can open the ros-ports and SQL ports but u cant do that with the mobile 3gmodem (HUAWEI E220). So I wonder if its possible somehow to continue my work from home but with my mobile 3gmodem?

/Tnx for reading
mrgurgle
mrgurgle
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Re: Starting my first server

Postby Souleater on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:15 pm

I've got the same modem for my laptop (which i am actually using right now :p). I don't really get your question though, but if you're asking if it is possible to run an osrose server using a 3G+ connection then I'd have to say no, or at least it would be very tricky ( I had once tried setting up a rag2 server on it but failed...). I don't know about your ISP, but mine (IAM menara) seem to have a pretty weird set up, where many 3G users have the same IP; it's like there is a local layer where every modem has a distinct ip, and another more global layer where each user in the past local area connect through to the internet using the same "international" IP. I guess you have the same set up since you're using the same modem, but I am not sure.

You can check by typing "ipconfig" on the windows command line and compare what you get with the IP you'll get on sites like whatismyip.com, if they are not the same then you've got the same problem I have and thus will have a hard time setting up a ROSE server, if they are actually the same then I don't think you'll have much problems just follow carefully the guides!
Souleater
Antares
Antares

Return to Some Help / News