Some beginner questions (1: (DEV-)REV, 2: Patching,3: Xampp)

How do you use the forum? Also Technical News.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is NOT a forum where you post a technical questions about osRose, osiRose or ospRose. Use the dedicated forum for that!

Some beginner questions (1: (DEV-)REV, 2: Patching,3: Xampp)

Postby Zwodo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:45 am

1. Hello guys, I´m quite new in the whole private server business, and I´m really confused about the DEV-REV, REV-80, REV-81 thing... First of all, what is the shortcut REV for?
REV-81 has a link which says "This is for the DEV-REV not for REV-80".
First assumes, REV 81 = DEV-REV
now, why is it called DEV-REV and not REV-81?

2. I don´t want to use a very outdated client (139 or 128), I mostly want to use the newest one, so after patching, would you recommend me using REV 80 or DEV-REV (81?). I am having many bugs with 80, many DCs because of skills, etc. and there seems to be something wrong with the packets which are send in REV 80, which is fixed in DEV-REV?

I´ve already got my server set up with REV 80, so should I better delete it and create one with DEV-REV?
Then there´s the problem that my database could get lost because it says DEV-REV is NOT compatible with REV 80, meaning that I can´t import my database to the new server ( if i make)?
Well, I really wouldn´t take that soo serious because I have something like only 15 people right now xD

3. I´m coming allong well with xampp, but do I have to keep my website IP my WAN IP (hamachi IP >.>)?
Details: Can I change the HTTP:// for my website so it´s NOT ANY IP, but a name if you know what I mean?
like RapidRose-Online.com or something like that :D

I´m really sry if some of these questions are really noobish, if the topic is too long, etc.
But if you search anything like that (DEV REV 81), all the words are removed because they´re too short, etc.
So please, help me, at least with anything xD
Zwodo
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: Some beginner questions (1: (DEV-)REV, 2: Patching,3: Xampp)

Postby Choseal on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:05 pm

1. I think REV stands for Revision, and it's called Developers-Revision (I think) because it's still under development and not the finished revision 81.

2. DEV-REV, definitly, it's the best one out here, REV 80 is quite out-dated. I had a dc after 10 minutes with REV 80, and when I used REV 81, it didn't crash for 4 days. There are so many fixes in the DEV-REV, I don't know where to start. =P

Yes, delete rev 80, but make sure you know how to get REV 81 to work, some find it harder, some find it easier. But yes, you will (As far as I know) have to start all over again with the accounts and characters.

3. Sure, buy a .com domain at a site like godaddy.com (Costs money) or go to the .co.nr site, which is free, but will only híde the real link.

Hope that helped, and if I'm wrong about anything, please tell me. =P
Choseal
Electric Ghost
Electric Ghost

Postby Zwodo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Choseal wrote:3. Sure, buy a .com domain at a site like godaddy.com (Costs money) or go to the .co.nr site, which is free, but will only híde the real link.

Well, you helped me, as long as I have so less members, I´ll better quickly do REV-81.
A question now: Do I need to pay for a website, even though I am hosting it via xampp on my computer? That´s irritating o.O
Zwodo
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Choseal on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Zwodo wrote:
Choseal wrote:3. Sure, buy a .com domain at a site like godaddy.com (Costs money) or go to the .co.nr site, which is free, but will only híde the real link.

Well, you helped me, as long as I have so less members, I´ll better quickly do REV-81.
A question now: Do I need to pay for a website, even though I am hosting it via xampp on my computer? That´s irritating o.O

No, no, there are other options, but some just prefer to not host the site themselves, because it takes up alot of resources, also it is really usefull if players can download the client from your .com host, because it will probably go alot faster and will not lag the server.
Choseal
Electric Ghost
Electric Ghost

Postby lmame on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:11 am

Zwodo wrote:1. Hello guys, I´m quite new in the whole private server business, and I´m really confused about the DEV-REV, REV-80, REV-81 thing... First of all, what is the shortcut REV for?
REV-81 has a link which says "This is for the DEV-REV not for REV-80".
First assumes, REV 81 = DEV-REV
now, why is it called DEV-REV and not REV-81?

Simply because it's still a work in progress that's why :)
There are quite some logs in this rev you perhaps want to comment, stuff like that.
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Zwodo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm

thx xD

Now a new question:
How do I get santa on santa planetoid give quests?
he just says something like "welcome to my planet" T.T
Zwodo
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby lmame on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 pm

You need to change Judy's dialog ID / event ID or something...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3746&p=40933#p40933
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Zwodo on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Hmm, made that now, but she´s giving me no event, just a shout, and santa still says "Welcome to my planetoid.".
It seems like she should give me an event about santa costumes, but I don´t mean that one anyway.
I mean the event from last year, where you had to collect snow crystals and bring them to santa to get santa clothes.^^
Zwodo
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby lmame on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 am

If they changed the files (AIP, QSDs and so on) you can't have this one.

If you changed the event ID from judy and reloaded worldserver check what she tells you.
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby lmame on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:55 am

It's working I just tried...
The Xmas trees are spawned ok, automatically.

Discard the shout, it's a custom quest from PurpleYouko:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3110&p=35183&hilit=custom+quest#p35183

As for Xmas, there is no quest given.
You just have to bring a snow crystal to Judy so she warps you to Santa Planetoid. Then Santa tells you whatever about stolen Elfidora. Go hit the monsters in his map to make them drop snow crystals and Elfidora. You need to have one Elfidora if you want to see the items when you speak to Santa.
Attachments
screen012.jpg
screen011.jpg
screen010.jpg
screen009.jpg
screen008.jpg
lmame
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Some Help / News