Newbie questions :)

Here you can talk about anything you want ;)

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Newbie questions :)

Postby mythicpencil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 am

Hi everyone, im new here. I'm planing on making a private server, I have several questions if anyone can please answer them :)

1) The guides on other websites about starting private servers tell you to download rose evo v80, osrose is on v80 im pretty sure. Are these guides using osrose? (guides on ragezone and gamerzplanet)

2) What's the real difference and what is better? Osirose or Osrose? I liked iRose for alot of reasons, and played it in the beta. I've played evo twice and it was really weird and I diddn't like it that much, cleric buffs are messed up too, they took out one of them aswell. Does evo have ALOT more items? and stuff? can someone please list the new things, like what was removed/added from irose to evo?

3) Would people rather play on evo or irose?

4) How different is osrose and osirose from the originals?

Thank you!
mythicpencil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Re: Newbie questions :)

Postby lmame on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 am

Hi :)

1°) Yeah they're using osRose, though sometimes they use a "one file" database that is not really accurate, so I'd recommend to use our guides instead, or perhaps, with those guides for some parts, and to get the files from the svn so you're sure you got the files we talk in the guides.
2°) osRose is Evo, like RoseNA, osiRose is iRose. osiRose is (for the moment) in an early stage of development but it's getting better at each rev.
3°)...
4°) Well they are of course less stable, with some stuff missing and they got bugs. Though the best way to see that is to try :) it's not that hard and I guess you can have quite some fun with them ;)
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby mythicpencil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks for replying, i decided to make an osrose server, I have afew more questions about that.

1) How do I add scrolls and other items to vendors(Making new tab and adding scrolls & potions, etc)

2) How come I had to spawn alot of my skillbooks, like not even bonfire is sold from vendors, shouldn't they be sold from vendors?

3) If my friend hosted my server on his pc, how many people could it hold? He has good internet conection and 3 gHz, 300gb hard drive & 3 GB ram, he will use his computer during the day while the server is runing and leave it on overnight.

4) How do I change the loading screens? I dislike the christmas loading screens!

5) Is the best arrow in evo wooden arrow? I tryed making storm arrows but it's a white box.

Ty for you time!
mythicpencil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Geobot on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 pm

1) search the forums here, there was a good topic on it a while back, and i wrote out a step-by-step guide to doing this

2) you can either make these sell from vendors like above, or make them drop from candle ghosts. although, once you change to naRose 144, all skills are apparently sold at shops now(retarded IMO)

3) he shouldn't have any problems with at least 30-50 people. especially when it's not being used. if he's using it, it will depend on what he's doing. obviously, if he's ripping a DVD, downloading another one, and watching another, it probably won't help the server much ^^

4a) 3DDATA\STB\LIST_LOADING.STB to change what loading screens appear and where(like specific screens for each planet, etc).
4b) the pictures themselves are in 3DDATA\CONTROL\LOADING, and as far as i know can be in JPG or DDS format

5) try some others. wooden arrows are definitely not the best ones out there.
Geobot
Antares
Antares

Postby mythicpencil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks!

sorry for so many questions but i do have just one more,im really stumbled on compiling, when i had a server a longg time back all i had to do was double click a .bat file and it would compile, now i have to do all this stuff and it just will not work, i followed many different guides and theres always errors for me.

and once i find out how, do i have to shutdown server, compile, and start server in order to update it? I was on a server once and all you had to do was log off and on for the new updates to take effect, do you only have to compile and wait for them to relog?

edit: so to change the loading screens i'd have to edit the actual evo rose client? isnt that ilegal?
also, how many people can a dedicated server hold that has 520mb of ram, 2.2ghz, and 80gb hardrive? I will never use it except for server if it can hold people, and can I run it without a monitor?
mythicpencil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby idontknow on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:32 am

It can run without a monitor AFTER you set it up. How many people can it hold? I'd say... 10 before it starts lagging...
idontknow
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Geobot on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 am

yea, 520M ram isn't very much, especially since i'm assuning you're running XP, which likes to suck up most of that for itself.
Geobot
Antares
Antares

Postby mythicpencil on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 am

Geobot wrote:4a) 3DDATA\STB\LIST_LOADING.STB to change what loading screens appear and where(like specific screens for each planet, etc).
4b) the pictures themselves are in 3DDATA\CONTROL\LOADING, and as far as i know can be in JPG or DDS format

Those paths don't exist, only 3DData/Control/Xml, i'm using ruff rose client not arua.

I'd use arua because it's very different from alot of the other clients and it would be obvious I took it and edited it. Well, would it be obvious if I edited it alot and took out oro, or would it still be obvious because of how the folders are arranged? I like arua because it's so easy to edit it to your own unlike ruff.
mythicpencil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Geobot on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:44 am

like noted in the other thread, extract the VFS files using one of the extractors in the "tools" section. then you'll see all those folders.
Geobot
Antares
Antares

Return to Welcome to the bar