2. even on the second line
  3. even on the third!
  4. etc*/
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Re: Dev Rev 3 release

Postby brokenshadows on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:52 pm

thanks for the tip...i wasn't sure if that would work, or not, so i just used the comment example i found already there :)

so far, everything seems to be working okay with the 323 client, except for that annoying client crash on pickup/equip bug... i had tried connecting with roseza's most recent client, but that one doesn't work at all... i have no idea how to even begin to figure out what's causing the crash...

::edit:: well, that, and trying to figure out how to put a delay in so a single mouse-click doesn't put me multiple levels deep in an npc's dialogue...
abyssus est alius populous
brokenshadows
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby brokenshadows on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm

any luck figuring out the client crash issue (when picking up, dropping, or (un-)equipping items)?

i tried to figure out how to debug the client exe to see if i could figure out what exactly causes the crash...but i'm hopelessly lost... :?
brokenshadows
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby wolfwing on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:04 pm

The only way you can debug the client exe is via ollydbg, but since you have no programming experience I wouldn't try it.
Ollydbg is at ASM level, which is abracadabra to most of us.
Anyway, the issue is not with the client, it's with the server.
Some of the packets aren't working correctly yet, you need to correct them to make it work.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby will1023631 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Assembly isn't all magic :P But beside the point. Wolfwing is correct, there is an issue with the packets on the server which is causing the client to terminate as it does not hold the correct "flags" which tell it that the data is indeed correct. Here you'll need programming, socket programming and a bit of hex to get it right. But mostly and understanding of packets. From Monday onwards I'll have more free time to be able to delve into the code and see if I can't dig anything up and fix it if someone hasn't already done so by then.
will1023631
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby brokenshadows on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 am

i figured it was with the server, but i have no idea where to even begin looking, so i thought maybe there was a way to see if the client crashing would tell me anything. Something along the lines of "received yyyy, but was expecting zzzz"...and then maybe try to find what sent the "yyyy" on the server side of things...

shooting blindly in the dark, i know, but at least i'm trying to think of something...even if it is completely wrong :P

i guess i'll let those who know what they're doing, do what i don't, and i'll just wait patiently like a good boy ;)
brokenshadows
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Best way to approach it is to log the packets as they are produced by the server then see which is the last one sent prior to the crash.

Now use a proxy such as the one in the tools list here to log into NARose and record their packets too

Compare the two versions of the packet that caused the crash

Recode the server to fix it.

ABE
I think the dev rev 3 has full packet logging that goes into a textfile called "inoutpackets" in your "binary/logs' folder
I can't remember if I included a full working version of this. I'm pretty sure I did though.

You will also need to periodically delete or empty that file coz it will get MASSIVE very quickly
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby brokenshadows on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:56 pm

spiffy...i will read about packet logging tonight after work and attempt to log and compare...

probably a stupid question, but will i have to do this for every individual item? would the packet be different for a mat drop, as opposed to a weapon drop? if so, it might be difficult to get the packets for a lot of things on NARose...
brokenshadows
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:03 pm

the general structure will be the same for all items.

Let's say that in the packet we are sending from our server the 23rd and 24th byte in the packet are the item type and the next 2 are the item id.

then suppose that in the logged packet from NARose the item data starts on the 24th (rather than the 23rd)

That means an offset of 1 byte for the rest of the packet starting at some point which we would need to identify.
This would make teh client read in some crap that might give it an item type of 387 or some random number then when it checks its STB table it throws up it's proverbial hands in disgust and says "I can't display and item with a clothtype of 387!!!" then it just tuns itself off and says "F**** YOU Server!!!"

[disclaimer: it probably won't be position 23 or 24. Those are just random numbers that I threw out there]
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby brokenshadows on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 pm

that actually makes sense...i think...thanks! :P

i'll give it a go tonight :D

::edit::

okay, here's another potentially stupid question...i've got the proxy from the tools list, and i'm pretty sure i know how to use it, but is it going to matter that to connect to the NARose servers, i'll have to use the official up-to-date client? will that make any difference in the information contained in the packets? my first thought is yes, because if the packet information stayed the same regardless of version, then this probably wouldn't be an issue in the first place...or am i way off base?
Last edited by brokenshadows on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
brokenshadows
Smoulie
Smoulie

PreviousNext

Return to Support - OsRose Emulator