[Dev Rev V] Alpha-release (Development Stopped)

Welcome in the osRose emulator Project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Re: [Dev Rev V] Alpha-release (revision 12)

Postby fahad1551 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 am

Hello,

can anyone help me with the Item mall game crash im getting when I click the Icon

game crash v495 .png
fahad1551
Little soul
Little soul

Postby Brett19 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 am

Hey Guys,

If you PM me a paragraph about who you are and any interesting C++ projects your working on or have worked on other than a ROSE Private Server (anyone who is working on one), I'll add you to some form of IM and be available whenever you need to ask any question about anything ROSE related (technical questions of course).

Oh yea, lets make this fair:
Hi! I'm Brett Lawson, I'm 24 or something and I've been hacking on ROSE since about 11 (12?) years ago. I'm now a software engineer living in Canada and have not been in the ROSE community for over a year now, but am always interested to see new people taking an interest. I have been involved in most successful ROSE private servers from the past (co-founder AruaROSE, developer TitanROSE, developer RuffROSE, I'm missing some others...) and I have a confounding knowledge of ROSE's technical details and have been contracted by Gravity on numerous occasions because of it.

Cheers, Brett
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby observe on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:39 pm

First of all i'd like to welcome you back so Welcome Back.

Brett19 wrote:I've been hacking on ROSE since about 11 (12?) years ago.

I realy dont like this idea of yours about "Hacking" ROSE. Its inappropriate to post something like this on a "Development" forum and in the wrong topics, why not just make your own?

Further on about 11, perhaps 12 years of doing so, iROSE was online since 2004 so that would be 10 years tops ^^

Brett19 wrote:co-founder AruaROSE, developer TitanROSE, developer RuffROSE

All these servers are closed [As per my knowledge]
So they might have been big / good, but they all stopped because of some thing [Hacks perhaps??]

Brett19 wrote:I have a confounding knowledge of ROSE's technical details

Always nice to have a person on-board with the right knowledge about ROSE's techincal details.
observe
osRose dev
osRose dev

Re: [Dev Rev V] Alpha-release (Development Stopped)

Postby Vetyst on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi,

I will now ensure everyone that i will no longer be working in tis project, if anyone has enough motivation to continue please send me a PM on discord Vetyst#0001 (more likely to work) so i can give a brief explanation of how it works and which tools I use.

The current Revision (12) has been rarred and uploaded to mediafire (the only possible download atm).

Thanks
Vetyst
osRose dev
osRose dev

Postby Brett19 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 pm

observe wrote:I realy dont like this idea of yours about "Hacking" ROSE. Its inappropriate to post something like this on a "Development" forum and in the wrong topics, why not just make your own?

Your thinking of the wrong definition of 'hacking'. I wrote 'hacking on' intentionally to refer to this definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(pr ... subculture). I know all too well the discrimination there ;) I intentionally posted on this topic because it appeared to be the only one with any level of activity in server development. I'd be happy to move these messages off to their own thread if you think there is a problem though.

observe wrote:Further on about 11, perhaps 12 years of doing so, iROSE was online since 2004 so that would be 10 years tops ^^

You are missing the beta period. Additionally, I may have been off by a bit since I didn't bother calculating it precisely since I didn't expect anyone to care if I was off by a few percent :P

observe wrote:All these servers are closed [As per my knowledge]
So they might have been big / good, but they all stopped because of some thing [Hacks perhaps??]

They may indeed have been big/good, but as time passes, ROSE looses more and more of it's user-base, and thus servers can no longer maintain themselves. I don't think that should be any reflection on the great feat of which they were?

observe wrote:Always nice to have a person on-board with the right knowledge about ROSE's techincal details.

Cheers. Curious why you are being so negative in your post here though. Additionally, the knowledge is only useful if the right people are around to take advantage of it, I no longer have the time nor motivation to go it alone.
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby observe on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:28 am

Brett19 wrote:They may indeed have been big/good, but as time passes, ROSE looses more and more of it's user-base, and thus servers can no longer maintain themselves. I don't think that should be any reflection on the great feat of which they were?

Its no problem to post on this topic but it isnt nice for the topic creator which (now stopped) is Vetyst

This is true, however there is still alot of unused potential in ROSE so they could have developed their servers much further ^^

And im not being negative at all, just laying down some facts ^^
observe
osRose dev
osRose dev

Postby Qctiimatt on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 am

omg Vetyst leave rose :( but now who work on development rose Online ? Osrose forum Need more people For Help people to create best server , the best for rose online need people for fix Osrose and etc ...
Qctiimatt
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby observe on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 pm

Qctiimatt wrote:omg Vetyst leave rose :( but now who work on development rose Online ? Osrose forum Need more people For Help people to create best server , the best for rose online need people for fix Osrose and etc ...

Development did not stop, hes just taking a break, we are considering to rebuild the whole package

Our List:
- Full rework of the Server (To remove unnecessary code)
- Custom Client

This will make the server alot faster because of all the DB stuff happening ATM

When this all will be done is unknown but if we do these parts we wont be following NARose anymore.
observe
osRose dev
osRose dev

Postby Brett19 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:21 pm

observe wrote:Its no problem to post on this topic but it isnt nice for the topic creator which (now stopped) is Vetyst

This is true, however there is still alot of unused potential in ROSE so they could have developed their servers much further ^^

And im not being negative at all, just laying down some facts ^^

Rewriting the entire code-base is a massive undertaking. Just to give you an example, the ROSE servers that powered each of those private servers I listed above is over a million lines of code. If you tried to rewrite it all at once, you would end up not finishing for 10 years. So, instead, we decided it would be more fruitful to slowly rewrite sections at a time, introducing new functionality where we can. One major issue is that those are 1 million lines of horrible, just terribly horribly written code, which makes it a massive undertaking to even make seemingly trivial game changes.

observe wrote:Development did not stop, hes just taking a break, we are considering to rebuild the whole package

Well, if any of you sends me a little blurb about themselves (basically, just prove your not just trolling or completely incompetent), I'd be happy to give lots of design advice. I didn't mention it above, but I've written (from scratch) multiple MMORPG servers at this point, and work full time these days architecting and designing software. :)
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Vetyst on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Brett19 wrote:Rewriting the entire code-base is a massive undertaking. Just to give you an example, the ROSE servers that powered each of those private servers I listed above is over a million lines of code. If you tried to rewrite it all at once, you would end up not finishing for 10 years. So, instead, we decided it would be more fruitful to slowly rewrite sections at a time, introducing new functionality where we can. One major issue is that those are 1 million lines of horrible, just terribly horribly written code, which makes it a massive undertaking to even make seemingly trivial game changes.

Well if u even tried looking in the code of Dev Rev V you would know there were just 70k lines of code.
So this is far more less than a million linesof code.

Hmm 10 years of work?
Not really a year to half a year of fulltime work(40h/w) would be even more stable than the current server of RoseNA.
Vetyst
osRose dev
osRose dev

PreviousNext

Return to Support - OsRose Emulator