New Age of Open Development

Welcome in the osRose emulator Project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

New Age of Open Development

Postby Brett19 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:09 am

Hey,

I am tired of the closed-nature of all the 'alternative' development work done on ROSE related projects. I think that ROSE has crossed a threshold, where if something significant is not done, it will fade away and be lost forever. In light of that, I have created a GitHub organization to... organize all source-code for ROSE related tools. I will be working on uploading new things there of mine over time, and I implore anyone with existing toolsets who wants to submit them to be published as part of osrose to PM me so I can make them available for anyone to use, or at least link to them.

Check it out here:
https://github.com/osrose

Cheers, Brett
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: New Age of Open Development

Postby WiseGuy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 am

thank you very much for your work and shared.
It is nice to be important
but very very important to be nice
WiseGuy
Pomic
Pomic

Postby PurpleYouko on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Nice start Brett.

Where did the source for the znzin come from? Is it something that you have had for a while?
Even though I have a source for znzin (the Malaysia Rose source that came from the release at RZ) I've just been using the basic version since I've been focusing all my efforts on understanding the trose source.
Beyond updating the sources to compile in VS2010, I haven't really touched any of the peripheral projects.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Brett19 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm

It's something that's been floating around for years and years. The whole 'suite' of libraries/applications is available, but I don't think it would be particularly productive to publish them.

Cheers, Brett
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Garnet on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Nice Brett!

I'm 100% agree with you that something need to be done now.

What are the improvements on the znzin engine?

I think OsROSE forum lost it interest when the Arcturus has been leaked, OsROSE banned theses files and did not allow to talk about it on the forum. I understand the reasons (it's stolen) but allowing Arcturus talk on these forum would have make more people interested by OsROSE projects and ending to take part of the dev, because even if Arcturus is complete, the source code is (was) not available.

Another problem is the different versions of OsROSE: osirose, osprose and osrose.
All these servers are very different and nothing is coordinate, but ROSE didn't change munch all these years!

Atm:

-Osirose is buggued because no one is working on it and interested anymore since Arcturus release, the code is very outdated and different (i'm not talking about packet) comparing to osprose/osrose.
-OsProse is the most stable atm, but i don't know how munch the code is different comparing to osrose latest revision, maybe Purpleyouko who is the main dev of osprose can talk to us about it and how it's complete enough for people making to deploy a public server.
-I didn't test OsROSE since a years but there was a lot of change. Outside packets, is the server more stable than osprose?
The same question apply to the new Alpha rev 5, i heard that a lot of change and nice improvement has been made, but it didn't test it yet. i'll check it asap

To my honest opinion i don't really like Rose Evolution and i don't think that following NaROSE update is a good thing since many change are done all the month and these change are not always a good change...And they are removing more and more from the client. There are some good things from it like Game Arena for example but others are not, they are always making change on the damage system and skills and people are still complaining. Did you heard anyone complaining about the iROSE damage system/skill?

Let's face the truth: the majority of the ROSE fans prefer a lot iROSE and Pre-Evo, people playing on NaROSE just play on it because it's the official server, or because they didn't know ROSE before Evo.

I have high characters on NaROSE and iROSE private servers, but i always getting more fun playing on iROSE servers, however i'm enjoying some of the NaROSE updates.

Here is what i suggest:

-First, we need to know who is still working on any osrose project and involving more developer or wannabe dev to the project.

-Choosing what os/i/p/rose is the best base to work(stability, performances, etc) and upgrade the two others. The reason of this is having all servers unified will make the work better for all of them, for example, people working on OsProse can easily fix something on Osirose or people working on Osirose will take a look on OsRose to fix change made by NaRose.
Even if i'm using Arcturus, i would like to see a complete and stable osirose server. Sometimes i would like to take a look of it and make change but i don't know if it worth the time spend regarding how the code is old comparing to others os servers. I would like to get more information about it and feedback from a strong dev, something that i'm not.
If the core of the dev rev5 is superior to other server, i'll be interested to make an osirose version :)

-A lot of people complained about osrose using mysql database or csv to handle some things rather than using the original files. Now we have all the tools to edit them so we could try to handle the original files, it make the changes easier for anyone. I have no problem working on Arcturus/Client but all the different files used on osrose make me lazy.
I know some people have no problem with that, Purpleyouko told me 'if it's not broken, don't fix it" and i understand his point.
I really would like to work on it but i will need some help due to my limited programming skills.

-Having a lot of STB Editors etc is nice, but maybe we should stick on one set of tools or workshop with available sources and work on it. Some editors are incomplete, contain bug and are not user friendly at all for people creating content.
I've worked some years ago on some ROSE server and i remember it was a hell to edit files, not because files are complicated but because i was loosing time switching editors that was doing the same thing. I remember some STL editors screwing others languages lol
I think the best workshop i've saw until now is the one from Juan (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3574&start=0), very complete and user friendly, it make editing a lot more enjoyable and faster.

It sound dump but the reason is we are lacking people creating ROSE content for the OSRose community, we need them to maintain the game alive. A "OSROSE Official Toolset" would be a good idea for content devellopers joining the comunity.

Atm i'm learning Qt, i would like to make a ROSE Workshop available for all plateform, windows, mac and linux, i hope to have something working soon. I will release the sources when i'm done.

-The last thing we really need is A CLIENT.
Getting a custom complete client working like the one from ExJam or one with a new engine like Unity would be AWESOME, but let's face it we are not enough to make it happen before the next century.
Our only choice is using the leaked files released on Ragezone (yeah i know it's leaked and doesn't follow the Osrose rules x_x), it's a Rose Evolution client from MalaysianROSE (v137), and even if the code is terribly complicated, it's complete. We just need to spend time on it.
Without a client we cannot add new features, i mean NEW features, like flying, swiming or driving the Flying Vessel or anything that you want. But atm i would just like to add Evo features to irose/prose lol

If osrose administrators doesn't want to talk about it here, maybe we could create another forum dedicated to the official client sources and client editing?

---
About me, i'm a not a good programmer, i've only coded with php/js, the release of the client sources on ragezone made me want to getting serious into programming. I love programming and i love ROSE, i take this opportunity to improve my programming skills.
Atm i'm only learning C++ and will use Qt to make the tools.

My todolist is:
-Make tools written on C++ and Qt available on all plateform
-Work on os(ip)rose server, upgrading osirose, make it compatible for linux/os x
-Work on the evo client, understand it and make some change.
My wish is getting a iROSE server with Evo content, or maybe a Evo server with irose system? I don't know what is the best choice and it's not the time for that.

I really want to take part of the open source devellopment, but i will need help for sure.

What you guys are thinking about all of this? :) What things need to be done to getting more people to the Osrose community?

Sorry for my fail english
Garnet
Little soul
Little soul

Postby Razzrage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:08 pm

I was really waiting for people that also wanted to help the rose developement world out of the darkness.
It really have bin to long that people were really sharing anything with each other, because there was much out there of source that were never really released on any forum.

I dont have really any sources that aren't up on any forum myself, but if there will come any plan to work on a project to make any kind of succes to the developement, i will be up for that and help whatever i can when i have the time. ( Dont really matter if it would be irose, pre evolution or evolution, but still prefer iRose)
Working On Sea of Souls Online, http://portal.restylegamerz.net with dagnarus!
Razzrage
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Brett19 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:55 pm

I think a set of Qt based tools would be useful, and easy to develop against. The 'package' of tools built upon Qt should begin as a set of separate items, and maybe in the future they can be joined. Alternatively, if there is already something like this that exists that could be a good base, please point me to it and I will contribute it to public GitHub for everyone to contribute against.

As for the server/client. Probably should try to start from scratch to be honest (or a large refactor), none of the projects have the necessary infrastructure to expand as enhancing the game would need. Need to get a group of people on-target first though.

Cheers, Brett
Brett19
Smoulie
Smoulie

Return to Support - OsRose Emulator