[SOLVED] First time server/client trials... weak characters?

Welcome in the osRose emulator Project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

[SOLVED] First time server/client trials... weak characters?

Postby adosorken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:26 am

So I snagged the server setup from this post:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5733

and then tried to build a client that would work with it. Got frustrated since there just seems to be so much info spread across the years so it's hard to understand what's up to date and what's not. In any event, I eventually said "aww to hell with it" and modified the AlegaROSE client, which seems to be based on RoseZA, if my meager detective skills are of any value. I modified neoncude/neoncube.ini to prevent it from downloading any updates from Alega, pointing it to a blank file on one of my own webservers.

So, got MySQL up and running, database built using Database/sql_tables/Rose_Blank Database.sql, got an account added by looking at Database/Evolution.sql, and added two characters when the client connected to the server. All was well with the world for a brief moment.

So what I noticed is happening is twofold:

1. No matter what weapon I give my characters or how high their strength is, they only do 3 damage to even a Mini Jelly Bean (6 on critical).
2. Even the very first quest doesn't actually complete (when you talk to the fairy and she tells you to talk to Gray).

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that the first issue may be the database. I've heard things about the AlegaROSE client not doing quests properly, though the very first one always worked, so I am wondering if this too is a database issue. Any insight? Perhaps I should just rebuild the database using Database/Evolution.sql, as it's almost the same size as Database/sql_tables/Rose_Blank_Database.sql.
Last edited by adosorken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: First time server/client trials... weak characters?

Postby adosorken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 am

I normally don't respond to my own threads... ;) but just wanted to state that discarding the first database and using Database/Evolution.sql (slightly modified to get rid of the existing user accounts, adding in my own instead) solved the first problem. The second problem still exists, however... though it's very likely an issue with the Alega client.
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:05 pm

If Alegarose was indeed made from RoseZA then it's using a modified dev rev 4 server most likely. That means that it probably should do all the quests OK except for ones with a timed content. We never did get around to recoding those even though I have a pretty good idea how it could be fixed. At least that was the state that I left it in when roseZA handed over the source that made DR4.
There were a few other issues too such as some missing QSD and AIP files around that time also. NARose decided to keep them all server side so we couldn't access them any more. We cobbled together a set of older ones to make it work.

Your damage issue could be a number of things. Maybe a bad value in your database config file is making your damage too low and it's hitting the minimum amount. Maybe somebody messed with the code in battle.cpp and upset the balance somehow.

You are right that it is a real mess trying to get everything organized from the years of releases here at this site.

I'm actually thinking of releasing a brand new set of servers and client based on my own compiled client code. Maybe a full usable setup like that would go a long way toward making it plug and play.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby adosorken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Yeah, the damage issue was the database... after importing the Database/Evolution.sql file, damage worked normally, so that was that issue fixed. Now...for quests... absolutely none of the NPC quests work, not even the job one. The only one that even started to work was the one where you get the seemingly out-of-the-blue notification from Arua's Fairy who tells you to go see Francis in Zant about the ominous strangers. As I am still learning about this system, I am still unsure as to a lot of details, so I will research as much as possible and try lots of different things. However, am I right in thinking that the QSD files for the client need to match the QSD files on the server? In any event, the behavior of normal quests seems much like you'd get if you were already doing the maximum number of quests... you can go through the steps but the quest won't actually appear in your Quest pane... dunno if that's a helpful clue or not but it is what it is. :)

EDIT: Okay, the Ulysses/Seyon repeated quest works... so that's one anyway. Maybe there's some kind of conflict between the QSDs in the current AlegaROSE client and the QSD files that came with this precompiled server?
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 pm

The quest that the fairy gives you about the strangers doesn't start in the same way as the others. It is initiated by an event button (little bell) rather than QSD.

Speaking of QSD, did you remember to extract all the QSD files from your VFS and then put them into your server 3ddata/questdata folder? That's where the server reads all the quest information from.
You also need to have your STBs especially the one named LIST_QUESTDATA.STB. Without that one it won't load the data properly.

Yes it's quite possible that there may be a conflict between teh QSDs that cam with the server and those currently used in your chosen client. that's why we recommend extracting all the QSDs, AIPs and STBs from the VFS of your client and putting them all into your server. Make sure that both sides are playing with the same deck ;)

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby adosorken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Alright... so I moved all of the files out of the server and copied all of the files from the client in their place. On restart, the server did complain about a couple of missing files, QUESTDATA/ULNGTB_QST.LTB and STB/ITEM_DROP.STB, but I just copied them back in from the backup I'd made. Do these need to be added into the client files? Also, looks like there's some map inconsistencies, but I'll fiddle with that later on. Anyway, seems that things work now. I appreciate the help. :) I've learned a bit more now because of this. :)
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: [SOLVED] First time server/client trials... weak charact

Postby Bless on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:54 am

It is possible to fix the quests if you know some code.
We in AlegaRose managed to fix some quests such as the 1st/second jobs and the CG/cart quest and some more.
Good luck buddy
Bless
Pomic
Pomic

Postby adosorken on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Ensuring that the QSD files were the same between the client and the server fixed a lot of quests, though not all of them. There's still some issues with some quests, such as quest items not being added when you kill certain mobs even if they're the same level. As I learn more about the system, I'm sure I'll be able to figure out the various issues. There's a lot of spaghetti, to say the least... data is strewn all over the place, so it's not easy for a newcomer like me to understand at first. With that in mind, I am starting to document a whole slew of things that have either been previously documented but now have defunct links or things that I cannot find documentation on at all. Comprehensive data lists are always useful. Also, some of the tutorials here on the forum have broken images, so some things become unclear when the information relies on a hotlinked image.

I've been able to obtain a lot of tools thanks to that archive on mega.nz. The one thing that was bothering me the most was Magdalena's "Get outta hear"... yeah... typos like that drive me batty, haha. :) I used laguCool's CXE Workshop to edit NPC1135.CXE to clean that up. I had no idea where to find the typo at first, so I just exported all of the files to a directory and used grep to find the broken string.

http://silkrose.eponasoft.com/screen003.jpg

I'm sure most newcomers to this aspect of ROSE have big ambitions... guess I'm no exception. :)
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:42 pm

CXE files were brought in to replace CON/LTB
As far I know we don't really have any compatibility issues with them but it does mean that you are using a client version that is significantly newer than Dev Rev 4 was designed for. Maybe Alega managed to get it all working with a newer client. We at RoseZA never did since all the useful files were taken out of those newer clients and quests were modified heavily as well, thereby making our QSD handling pretty much useless because we had no files to work with after they (NARose) moved them all into their servers completely.

Maybe that's why your quests are busted?

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby adosorken on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:09 am

Well, since Project 137 looks so promising, I am likely going to just ditch this first attempt and go with what you've got cooking. I learned a lot doing this, so now I can carry that knowledge into the next phase of my diabolical master plan. :lol:
Evolve this!!
adosorken
Smoulie
Smoulie

Next

Return to Support - OsRose Emulator