iRose Official Source Code - Why aren't we using it?

Welcome in the osiRose emulator Project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

iRose Official Source Code - Why aren't we using it?

Postby Qix on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 am

Why hasn't the project been referencing the original iRose source code?

Just curious.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: iRose Official Source Code - Why aren't we using it?

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Because we don't have the irose source code.

The only source out there in public land is for a very primitive version of rose EVO from Malaysia.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Qix on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:11 pm

How much had the ZnZin engine changed since the RageZone versions, though? At least we could get some initial idea as to how it worked. I'm looking at some of it (loosely, I'm on nix at the moment) and it looks pretty complete engine-wise.

They have all the pieces there, and it looks pretty standard. All of the vorbis/lua libraries, an outdated jpeg library (that is really easily updated), and a few proprietary things.

I'm more curious as to why the custom client projects aren't referencing it. I know we know the formats for almost everything but iirc maps have been a big issue, right?
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

the znzin engine is pretty much the same in every rose version. Only very tiny changes have been made over the years.

Most of the changes have taken place in trose.exe and several of its dll dependencies.
I have a fully functional, playable and compilable client based on the original files released at RZ and running in a V 137 client from Malaysia.
I don't much like their server so I have it running with an early rev 81 osrose server.

The client is primitive and needs a lot of fine tuning but it does all work
I have re-written a lot of the VFS handling code because it was ridiculously overcomplicated and inefficient and am now slowly working through the whole thing just streamlining it from the ground up.
I'm planning to change a whole lot of stuff related to interdependency between client and server so that will reduce any issues with jumping HP and ammo running out during combat.
Also want to see if i can overhaul combat completely so that it plays more like other games where you can move while in combat. For example, slowly back away while shooting magic or guns.

I will most likely make both client and server completely public rather than keeping it to myself. I have no interest in running a server with it.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Qix on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 am

Any interest in porting to OpenGL? The vertex buffer code should be a pretty minimal change; the shaders are what will probably need re-writing from HLSL to GLSL... Oh and ALSA/coreaudio wrappers instead of directsound, of course (those are easy).

I could potentially help with that.

Edit To answer future "why?" questions: linux/mac support without the need for WINE intervention.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby wolfwing on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Qix wrote:How much had the ZnZin engine changed since the RageZone versions, though? At least we could get some initial idea as to how it worked. I'm looking at some of it (loosely, I'm on nix at the moment) and it looks pretty complete engine-wise.

They have all the pieces there, and it looks pretty standard. All of the vorbis/lua libraries, an outdated jpeg library (that is really easily updated), and a few proprietary things.

I'm more curious as to why the custom client projects aren't referencing it. I know we know the formats for almost everything but iirc maps have been a big issue, right?

I think you're confusing iRose with newer versions of Rose online.
iRose is very old by now, the latest official client being iRose was KRose_736_736, for reference, it doesn't even have Eldeon completely. Let alone level 170+ armor and weapons.

Qix wrote:Any interest in porting to OpenGL? The vertex buffer code should be a pretty minimal change; the shaders are what will probably need re-writing from HLSL to GLSL... Oh and ALSA/coreaudio wrappers instead of directsound, of course (those are easy).

I could potentially help with that.

Edit To answer future "why?" questions: linux/mac support without the need for WINE intervention.

You're really underestimating the sheer amount of work this is.
The whole client AND server are completely written against the WIN32 API, a very old version too.
The code is such a hellhole that you're better off rewriting it completely, which is what I am doing FYI.
I'm not even sure if it's okay to keep the code as a reference for the file formats, CON is such a hell, it might be easier to read the disassembled code than the original code.

And to answer further questions, I do have the iRose source code, but I don't plan on releasing it.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby Qix on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 pm

wolfwing wrote:I think you're confusing iRose with newer versions of Rose online.
iRose is very old by now, the latest official client being iRose was KRose_736_736, for reference, it doesn't even have Eldeon completely. Let alone level 170+ armor and weapons.

Fair enough.

wolfwing wrote:You're really underestimating the sheer amount of work this is.

I know exactly how much work it is. I've done similar things before.

wolfwing wrote:The whole client AND server are completely written against the WIN32 API, a very old version too.

Old version of the code? sure. "Old version" of the Win32 API? That doesn't make sense. The API hasn't changed much since NT other than Vista's kits and now 8's kits.

wolfwing wrote:The code is such a hellhole that you're better off rewriting it completely, which is what I am doing FYI.

There's a difference between referencing and extending. I suggested porting the code since Youko indicated they had a copy they were maintaining.

wolfwing wrote:I'm not even sure if it's okay to keep the code as a reference for the file formats,

Why not? If it gets the raw resources and allows us to potentially convert to other formats, then sure.

wolfwing wrote:CON is such a hell,

What?

wolfwing wrote:it might be easier to read the disassembled code than the original code.

You're implying the "disassembled code", which was compiled and thus not at all as verbose as the original C code is going to be easier than referencing the original code, since it's written poorly.

This leads me to believe you don't actually know either assembly or C++ very well. Sorry.

wolfwing wrote:And to answer further questions, I do have the iRose source code, but I don't plan on releasing it.

Unless you're referring to the released RZ code, I highly doubt that.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby wolfwing on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:33 am

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:The whole client AND server are completely written against the WIN32 API, a very old version too.

Old version of the code? sure. "Old version" of the Win32 API? That doesn't make sense. The API hasn't changed much since NT other than Vista's kits and now 8's kits.

I'm talking about the Win32 API, they use the VS2003 platform SDK, which is actually pre windows SDK.

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:The code is such a hellhole that you're better off rewriting it completely, which is what I am doing FYI.

There's a difference between referencing and extending. I suggested porting the code since Youko indicated they had a copy they were maintaining.

Of Evo yes, I never gave Purple the iRose source code.

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:I'm not even sure if it's okay to keep the code as a reference for the file formats,

Why not? If it gets the raw resources and allows us to potentially convert to other formats, then sure.

Because koreans write shit code and their formats are retarded.

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:CON is such a hell,

What?

There is a comma in there, don't quote parts of sentences. You know very well that I mean the code of the CON file format.

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:it might be easier to read the disassembled code than the original code.

You're implying the "disassembled code", which was compiled and thus not at all as verbose as the original C code is going to be easier than referencing the original code, since it's written poorly.

This leads me to believe you don't actually know either assembly or C++ very well. Sorry.

You underestimate the retardedness of the programmers Triggersoft had.
And yes I do fucking imply that. The reversed CON file format is a lot more clear than the code written by Triggersoft, but even then, out of all the reversed formats it's the most confusing to read.

Also I know my C++ just fine, the retards over at Triggersoft however didn't.

Qix wrote:
wolfwing wrote:And to answer further questions, I do have the iRose source code, but I don't plan on releasing it.

Unless you're referring to the released RZ code, I highly doubt that.

^^^RIGHT CLICK VIEW IMAGE TO VIEW THE WHOLE IMAGE!^^^

^^^RIGHT CLICK VIEW IMAGE TO VIEW THE WHOLE IMAGE!^^^

A pastebin of the Winmain.cpp for you to compare yourself.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby XxXshidoXxX on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm just hopping the files you have are easier to compile than the one i had from RZ.
Got them compiled but i had to rename some includes, change the links and do a whole bunch of other shit.
Truly amazing for an ''official source LEL''
Trigger are really retarded i can't agree more, i feel nauseous when i read any piece of the evo code (but somehow this shit works lol )

Do you plan on opening a server or something ? Project seems interesting, i'd test.
My collection ( Tools, clients sources...)
https://mega.nz/#F!AdcFnQDL!sKp3O9tWGGdWvLEj_EYfwA
osrose mobile project
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5787
OsRose Mobile development + Titan Rose redesign
https://github.com/shid0x
XxXshidoXxX
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Return to Support - OsiRose Emulator