[REQUEST] Looking for a decent CMS :-p

This is guide mostly for website tools and code, for example CMS or registration scripts.
There can also be tools.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

[REQUEST] Looking for a decent CMS :-p

Postby Mark on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi all,

Iv'e currently been working on some different CMS styles which may be usefull for those who do not wish to use the dynastycms or icedynasty layouts / theme's / style's ect.

Been trying out > Joomla, Drupal, CMSmadesimple, e107 and a few others.

Has anyone managed to find a CMS which actually fits nicely with the rose kind of genre, database setup is obviously done upon installation then changing the way the php's connect to your db is done later, I'm just looking for something which we could use which is
1. simpler and more user freindly then just bashing out some php code
and
2. offers more functionality i.e extension add ons, modules ect.

Currently we have access to Dynasty and Icedynasty but thats it! it stops there, you download the zip / rar archive and are expected to carry out the rest yourself ( theme changing,style editing,module making ect ect )

What I'd like to do is grab a few people and start working on a CMS for OSrose and the dev rev II for new servers / web dev's that wish to use a different CMS which not only offers more security ( sql wise ) but they can refer back to a single source rather than being directed / expected to search for hours on end to find a simple script.

Initially we'd have to come to a decision on which base CMS to start with, then move on to creating the base modules ect using some of the older elements but "improving" them.

For a team, I'd need people capable of understanding basic php,sql statements,db access and rights management, a designer, a frontend manager and backend manager, and maybe more.

The reason for doing a small project like this:

dev-osrose and its staff / members have given out so much information since it 1st started so lets show some appreciation to the community and new comers alike by getting together a team and making a CMS for those who do not have 1 already or simply want to upgrade to a much cleaner more user friendly CMS for there servers.

Thoughts and comments below ;)

Chat soon :D
Administrator / Coder for EutopiaRose Online
http://www.eutopiarose.co.uk
Mark
Rackie
Rackie

Re: [REQUEST] Looking for a decent CMS :-p

Postby hoegarden31 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 pm

So what you want is a new cms. I can help with that if you want.
I'm the one and only. In heaven and on earth.
hoegarden31
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Mark on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Yep Lets do it, we already have access to some usefull modules ect all we need to do is make a groovy looking template ( ive managed to get hold of some from RZ ) and the "hard" to obtain roseonlinecms v3.4lite just need to implement the sql escape strings ect.

If you want we can use a code dumping site to dump some of the module php code for ease of access :D

Let me know either way how you wanna play this thing, hit me up on msn if youv'e got any ideas to add ;)

**Edit**
Lets also make sure we add a counter to stop this : http://packetstormsecurity.org/files/85264/roseonlinecms-bypass.txt

As some idiot will prob google this and try something funky :lol:
Mark
Rackie
Rackie

Postby hoegarden31 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Well i'm just afraid when you go all crazy about "hard" and all that ... you are talking about a new cms, so why then copy all kind of code ? 1 module of a crappy cms is still crappy :p
If you want us to make a cms, then it will be from 0 unless you have modules you already wrote from nothing.
hoegarden31
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Mark on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 pm

well given there's so many different ways to write a module why dont we just keep the ones that work and edit them slightly :D

Lets take what we've got access to, edit it, make it better ( maybe ) and release it as a full CMS rather than having bits and bobs laying around everywhere.

Here's 3 templates Iv'e found so far ( 1 of them is in html the other 2 are in php format )
http://www.mediafire.com/?uuh9ov63x06gywh

I like the idea of the html cms site, however php within html??? just plain wierd

The other one that looks nice ( layout wise ) is the ditzy theme, layout wise i like it however there is a few little bugs and what not in there, lets pull these apart, along with the other 2 dynasty and ice and see if we can make 1 CMS out of the lot ;)
Mark
Rackie
Rackie

Postby PurpleYouko on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 pm

What's weird about PHP within HTML?
I code that way all the time. It allows for dynamic changes within a web page.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby hoegarden31 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 pm

You can't just put php code into a html page (the name home.html) Because php must be executed BEFORE the page is send to the browser. But when a web page is accessed, the server checks the extension to know how to handle the page. Generally speaking if it sees a .htm or .html file, it sends it right to the browser because it doesn't have anything to process on the server. If it sees a .php extension (or .shtml, or .asp, etc), it knows that it needs to execute the appropriate code before passing it along to the browser.

This is why you can't put php code into an html page :D
hoegarden31
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Mark on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:49 pm

well you could allow for the php code to be checked before it allows access to the html doc by modifying the .htaccess file with some code ( iv'e already done this on a few html pages, however more than just the htaccess file would need modifying ).

The alternative would be to initially build a site in html then just change the extension to php thus forcing the web browser to initiate any php code from that page before sending it to the browser.

Im just trying Drupal out atm, and so far no luck adding any kind of php element as Drupal acts as a shell for content to be added directly into it rather than having seperate php modules which are loaded from a php page.

I might just revert back to a "Basic" CMS and load in the modules we already have and see how it goes from there, but trying to find a CMS with a decent layout / template is proving to be a bitch, I could just use a basic css layout from google searching....
Mark
Rackie
Rackie

Postby hoegarden31 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I just don't get why you would make dynamic html pages with php...
Just make php files then :p it comes to the same thing... You can perfectly make a hole site in pure html (no dynamics) and having all extention .php

Now you maybe all put php code and html code toghether, but that is not so nice as you think it is.
The best way is still using php files who handle only php code, so in those files you will never see a html code or echo. then in other files, you put all your html code, css and stuff. Using templates, it makes your site easy to customize, and better to add code.
hoegarden31
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Mark on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Just trying out to see if a mediawiki site would be beneficial, got the connections to the db set into one database rather than splitting so instead of having to do a sql connection for each module we can just use the SELECT * FROM function.

Off to learn some css layouts cuz I hate working with the standard monobook / vector theme lolz :D
Mark
Rackie
Rackie

Next

Return to PHP / Web Guides, Scripts and tools.