Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators esp.)

This forum is for main questions (format files, STB / STL and so on).

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk :)

Re: Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators e

Postby xadet3 on Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Qix wrote:I feel as if what I'm saying is being taken in the wrong way; I'll try to avoid a flame war with conflict-of-interest.

It's hard to get your tone across in just text, but I have no intentions of starting a flame war and everything I write is in jest.

Qix wrote:however, the architectur (how the classes were laid out, etc.) weren't how I personally would have done it (hence the "thrown together" comment)

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. I look on at code I wrote years ago and cringe.

Qix wrote:Further, at least when I was working with it, it was not cross platform in the least (there were a few projects that were trying to write emulated implementations for linux but at that point nothing was really solid). I'm not sure if the status of that has changed since then, through it probably has.

Also, yes I am aware of Mono and what it does. My opinion still stands.

It's definitely changed a lot. The commercial side of Mono has a product called Xamarin which cross-compiles C# to Objective-C and Java for iPhone and Android development (which I'm using at my new job). It's massively spurred on development and made Mono a very stable and well-respected product.

Qix wrote:No, it isn't; however, without C++ could be very difficult, or nearly impossible. A pure C# implementation, I feel, would be hard.

Absolutely. It's semi-possible with libraries such as BlackMagic, but callbacks weren't something I ever managed to achieve in pure C#.
xadet3
Pero pero
Pero pero

Re: Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators e

Postby Qix on Tue May 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Interesting about Xamarin, I'll have to look that up.

All in all, I don't intend for this to provide bindings. It's purely a C++ system; however, if anyone would like to apply their own bindings, they can do so :)
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Previous

Return to Client Editing Question Zone