Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators esp.)

This forum is for main questions (format files, STB / STL and so on).

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk :)

Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators esp.)

Postby Qix on Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 am

New here to the dev-osr forums, so let me know if I'm stepping on any toes with this one; I read the rules and due to the nature of some of the notices I figured I'd add this disclaimer.

So I've noticed that people in my welcome thread said that there needs to be a ROSE revival. However, I feel as if we can only do so much with the server (relatively speaking).

What is not only the ultimate forum rule and moderator decision, as well as the legality, of using a custom loader for the client to inject a DLL upon startup that would add extended features?

The core of the DLL would just be a bridge for the client (in this case, probably KTRose since you guys seem to want to develop that project) to any sort of code we want in the form of an API/callback system. I wouldn't want to develop any of the logic, since I feel PurpleYouku (forgive me if I spelled that wrong) would know more about what s/he wants as far as client sided functionality.

For those of you who don't necessarily know what this means and are worried this would mess things up or have a negative impact:
  • DLL injection is 100% safe so long as the DLL itself isn't malicious (since this would be released open source, this wouldn't be a problem)
  • DLL injection is 100% legal and is a simple use of basic API calls. It is what the hack does that could potentially be an issue (this is what I want the moderators to feed back on).
  • It does not permanently modify the client binaries. If you want to get rid of the extended functionality, simply get rid of the DLL. It will not be loaded.
  • It would not require any modification to any other parts of the code, nor would it change how the client works by itself (unless more logic/features were added - see below).
Some things it would allow us to bring to the table (these are just a few things I could think of):
  • Custom packets and handling of packets
  • Potential bugfixes that couldn't be fixed before
  • Custom UI / message box dialogs (at the least)
  • Potentially new worlds (not sure how this is set up in the 3DData)
  • Potentially new NPCs/effects/etc.
  • Triggering client sided stuff that couldn't be done with packets
  • Injecting custom shaders/3D engine upgrades (this would be incredibly difficult but with enough support it could definitely be attempted) Heh, after breaking into the VFS files, this can already be done with the client engine's built in Lua interface. Nifty!
  • EDIT: Game protections (I am good at this sort of thing)

I did see a few projects on the forum for custom clients to deal with this issue, but to be honest I feel as if that is way more trouble than it should be.

All the DLL would do is get injected upon startup (the process could even be integrated into a launcher for automatic setup), hook a bunch of addresses, add any code changes (if needed), and then turn the execution over to the client/any code the devs would want.

My code would just be the bridge. Like I said earlier, I like making APIs/doing architecture/doing the hacking bits, so I'd leave the cool and fun logic up to the other devs, for I feel they'd do it better.

Looking mainly for devs' feedback, especially moderator feedback. I understand this is a very touchy subject, but at this point seeing as how Triggersoft is no longer the owner and WarpPortal doesn't seem to care about private servers (nor do they seem to be working on anything new with the client - at least, nothing major), this could be a perfect opportunity to get the community and the project to grow.

Regardless of what this thread produces, I still want to do it by myself to see what kind of results I produce. This is more or less just seeing what the mods think about integrating it into KTRose.

Thoughts?
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Re: Legality/Ethics of extended client modding (moderators e

Postby Circa on Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 am

Don't think there's anything against you doing that and providing the source/tool here, the things that are touchy about or were was arc files. Well , of course, as long as it is not malicious lol.

Well tbh, if you're going to be working on it by yourself, then just go for it. There will be people who will find it extremely useful.
Wolfwing was proposing the same thing for irose, but since no one took any real interest, and he gave up on that idea afaik.

I have been messing with KT-ROSE server, since I don't have to worry about any packet issues, basically the only real bugs are fixable in the actual code itself.
Circa
Clown
Clown

Postby Qix on Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 am

I see. Out of curiosity, what are arc files?

Yea I'll definitely look into this. I'm writing a lib/header generator for TGameCtrl_r right now, should be done within the hour.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Circa on Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 am

Arc files, were the official irose login, character, and world server, but it was the compiled version with no source, and back then I believe was what ruff, arua, and 7hearts used at the time, not 100% sure lol. But, someone didn't like it and there was an incident where this forum was attacked because it was supporting/hosting the files.
Circa
Clown
Clown

Postby XxXshidoXxX on Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Bro,its rose you can do whatever the hell you want,no one cares about legality :D
Even leonis checks the new features private are adding now and then (heard it from the man himself).

Lately everyone has gotten interested in KTrose (myself included),purple...you will have to re-open now ;)

I'd be happy to help you for your projects although i'm not the client editing type of guy.
My collection ( Tools, clients sources...)
https://mega.nz/#F!AdcFnQDL!sKp3O9tWGGdWvLEj_EYfwA
osrose mobile project
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5787
OsRose Mobile development + Titan Rose redesign
https://github.com/shid0x
XxXshidoXxX
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby IaguCool on Sat May 25, 2013 4:58 pm

I like the idea. I'm with you on this one. If you need any tool made, I can give it a try. :)
IaguCool
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Qix on Sat May 25, 2013 5:50 pm

XxXshidoXxX wrote:Bro,its rose you can do whatever the hell you want,no one cares about legality :D
Even leonis checks the new features private are adding now and then (heard it from the man himself).

Lately everyone has gotten interested in KTrose (myself included),purple...you will have to re-open now ;)

I'd be happy to help you for your projects although i'm not the client editing type of guy.

Good to hear :] Kind of nice to have free roam on an old favorite.

Circa wrote:Arc files, were the official irose login, character, and world server, but it was the compiled version with no source, and back then I believe was what ruff, arua, and 7hearts used at the time, not 100% sure lol. But, someone didn't like it and there was an incident where this forum was attacked because it was supporting/hosting the files.

Ah interesting, were they leaked? I can see how that would be touchy.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Juan on Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 pm

If only just arcturus were leaked ;)
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Circa on Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Qix wrote:
Circa wrote:Arc files, were the official irose login, character, and world server, but it was the compiled version with no source, and back then I believe was what ruff, arua, and 7hearts used at the time, not 100% sure lol. But, someone didn't like it and there was an incident where this forum was attacked because it was supporting/hosting the files.

Yeah they were leaked, and then problems occurred that some were injected with some malicious stuff. Don't really know the full details as some others do lol. Back then there was a lot more going on that I don't even know of lol.
Circa
Clown
Clown

Postby Qix on Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Circa wrote:
Qix wrote:

Yeah they were leaked, and then problems occurred that some were injected with some malicious stuff. Don't really know the full details as some others do lol. Back then there was a lot more going on that I don't even know of lol.

I see I see, makes sense.

In other news, this just happened; actually surprised it worked.

2. void KTConsole::endScene()
  3. {
  4.     // Try to draw a font
  5.     o_beginSprite(0x10);
  6.     o_drawFontf(*FONT_PTR, 1, 5, 5, 0xFFFF0000, "Hello, Qix! :D");
  7.     o_endSprite();
  8. }

o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Next