[TUTORIAL] Create your own item (3dmax)

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

[TUTORIAL] Create your own item (3dmax)

Postby Sethanye on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:27 pm

In this tutorial ill explain the very basics of item creation, i used an already existing model in this one simply to make it easier for you guys to understand, cos creating a brand new item requires texture mapping and many other things which would make this tutorial endless, so ill post the basic stuff and you experiment on your own later on.

The images in this one are really big so they wont fit into the forum screen so please view the image separately for full detail.

So first of all lets prepared the item, for this tutorial we are gonna make a staff out of the amazing brush wand. so first of all get out the model out of your client and then convert it with Sparks converter which can be found in the tools section

After you have the OBJ model ready were all set to go.

Run 3D Max and import the model there

Now were all set to go.

For item editing you will mostly use mesh edit, this function allows you to select actual meshes and faces of the item and edit parts of it separately. So first of all select the button that looks like a bended pipe then select the red square (refer to screen shot)

After this were ready to do some actual editing, first of all lets make the handle of the staff. select one of the 3 moving, rotating or scaling options on the top, and make sure mesh edit is enabled. then select the faces of the handle, adding additional selections in max is done with control instead of shift so be careful since shift does cloning at that way you can make a whole load of useless faces. While selecting make sure you select everything, it might be tricky at times but you'll get used to it. once you are done selecting it should look something like this:

Now lets use the scaling tool and enlarge the handle, use one axis for it and just enlarge till the size you want and then move it back into place, so you should get something like this:

Now that we have the handle ready lets add some more easy things so the staff doesn't look that much like a cheap copy. Lets select the top 2 wings on the staff now and make them a separate object. The detach button got covered up in my screen and I'm sorry for that but i marked the location, this will make the 2 wings as a separate object instead of a part of the original staff.

Now lets make a copy of those 2 wings, deselect mesh edit if its selected then lets select our new wings and click ctrl+v and clone it (crtl+c isn't needed in max) and play around with rotation a bit. i made it look like this:

After we are satisfied with our staff all we need to do is export it, you can export both to OBJ and 3DS, in certain cases it will mater which type you use so if one doesn't work well use the other:

Then to add even more originality i converted the DDS of the staff into Photoshop and did some simple color rebalancing, that option can be called up with ctrl+b in Photoshop, playing around with the settings a bit i got this:

And there your staff is all ready, convert the texture, then load up the ZMS viewer again and open our exported model from max, you can also load in the texture to take a full look at it:

Export back to ZMS, and there you have a brand new staff to give to your players, add it in game and enjoy.

Keep in mind that this tutorial is only to show you the most simple and easiest of functions, take your time, experiment, read up a couple tutorials on the net, and most importantly use your imagination, there is no limit to the items you can create.

Also keep in mind the item size when you modify models because the item size you edit there will proportionally edit in game so if you make it too small or too big it will look stupid, if you aren't sure about the size just import an another model from game and compare this way you will be sure everything is ok.

Well i hope this will be useful to someone, and you enjoyed reading

Added Texture Mapping tut here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1181

Alessa

P.S. i don't have to remind you that i kill people that steal :P so if you post this somewhere else please add the ownership, i have accounts on all the major rose editing forums so it wont be hard to track you down if i want.
Last edited by Sethanye on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Re: [TUTORIAL] Create your own item (3dmax)

Postby lmame on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Nice one :)

Just a quick question, how do the the game "knows" how to apply the texture?
I mean, in you example you made another pair of wings. How does the ZMS Viewer or game knows to apply the "wing" part of DDS?
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Sethanye on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:08 pm

well for existing models the texture mapping is already done, that means it will stretch out accordingly, if you are making a new one from scratch you have to create a texture and first of all create a map for it on the model, but that is really complex, there are tutorials on the net, i skipped that part mainly cos it would be 2 times longer than this tutorial to explain that.
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby lmame on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:11 pm

I see ^_^ I'm not very used to 3D world, thanks for the details, I'll try to see those tutorials later ;)
Too bad 3DS is not a free tool :lol:
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Sethanye on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 pm

yeah free is the last thing ull see, max is like 2400$ >.<
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby PurpleYouko on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:21 pm

You can do the same kind of thing in Blender which is totally free and comes with the ability to open .obj files already built in without the need for a plugin. ;)

Unfortunately i have no real clue how to use Blender.
I've dabbled a little bit but I'm no graphic artist.

Perhaps Sethanye could take a look and see if we could use Blender instead.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Sethanye on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:28 pm

ill look into it in a min but it looks a tad too small to be able to handle high class graphical editing, for simple stuff maybe though, ill report back soon

EDIT:

ok checked it out, that program wont do, it simply doesnt have the editing functions required for it, you can make scenes with it but as far as i seen there is no actual model editing capability and all in all that program is quite retarded.
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby tams on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm

How can I open the file OBJ? Where can i see this file..I cant open the file i want to edit..I want to edit wing..But i cant see..When i click Load OBJ model I cant open the picture..No picture..Where i can find? Please help
JOIN MY ROSE SERVER - http://www.odesrose.com
tams
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

ok checked it out, that program wont do, it simply doesnt have the editing functions required for it, you can make scenes with it but as far as i seen there is no actual model editing capability and all in all that program is quite retarded.

Yes there are.
I have built quite a few models from scratch in Blender by following the tutorials that are available all over the internet.
Granted, the interface is a bit tricky to understand but it definitely has the capability of editing meshes and stuff.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Maxxon on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Ty for this nice tut. It gave me some insight in how 3D things are done :)
an anymous comment on a program called reloader:
what if a fatal error happens, will it restart it?
Maxxon
Hawker's pet
Hawker's pet

Next

Return to 3D discussions