[TUT] Creating 3d from 2d and uvw mapping

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

[TUT] Creating 3d from 2d and uvw mapping

Postby Sethanye on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Dialup users sorry - images are around 3 mb total.

Ok since a load of people kept bugging me about this, i will write this tutorial, before you start reading if something is unclear you are welcome to ask me, except questions incloded in this list:

1) Where to get import/export plugins for 3ds max
2) Where to get 3ds max or photoshop
3) How to add item in game
4) Anything retarded

Ok so lets get started then, first of all find a 2d image of a sword, or draw one your self, i took a sideways sword in my example, i do not advise you that, mainly because mirroring and rotation are a lot harder then so its harder to make the objects match together later, so best rotate it in photoshop and resave it so it points upwards. Once you found the image you like, create a box in 3dmax, with length and width of the size of the image and height set like -1. why the same size, is because its easier to keep the right image proportion, later on you can resize the box to fit more of your styling needs. so anyway, drag and drop your selected image onto the box and you should get something like this.

Next once you have the box with the image, select the line tool and using the top viewport (try avoiding using perspective if possible at all for mapping out because its really hard to keep the third axis straight, while if you use the top layer it will automatically set z to 0 and only move around x and y so its easier to edit. So anyway starting with the blade, map out with lines half of your blade, use as many dots as you like but dont overdo it, your creating items for rose, not aion. so u should get something like this

after you are done mapping out one side, make a copy of the line you draw (make sure you select copy, not instance) and mirror it, you can use either the mirror modifier, or the modifier withing the spline edit it self, but the mirror modifier has 6 rotations while the one in spline has only 3, i used the modifier because of my weird sword angle i needed to do extra rotations to make the line fit properly into the picture. But anyway your end result should look something like this:

After that to merge the 2 lines you have into one object open the edit spline, if you used the outside mirror modifier you will need to manually reapply spline otherwise the mirroring will cancel out.

Next step is sealing off the lines so they dont have gaps, to make it easier without creating a bunch of extra points i took one line, and deleted the last point, then using the connect tool reconected them again, sealing off the top (repeat the same on the bottom too)

Then using the bevel tool i made the object 3d, using the several bevel layer options i gave the sword a thinning blade form making it more 3d than it would be if you would just bevel it once and thin out the edges later. Also be careful with the edges to try and not make them wave, you can see on the end of my sword the line isnt fully straight, but since that part will nto be visible i just said fuck it.

Next since im dont with the blade i hide it out of sight so it doesnt get in the way, if someone doesnt know where hide is, its here:

Then using the same technique as for the blade i mapped out the wings on the blade and applied the bevel settings, messing around till i got the the form as i like.

Next i duplicated it, mirrored, and then battled rotations again because of the unstandard object rotation i mentioned at start, so i think i got a couple pixels off on the x axis on this screen (fixed it later but didnt redo the screen, forgot)

After that you do some scaling on the both objects on the Z axis till you are happy with the thickness and move them around to fit each other pretty and all that mumbo jumbo.

Next is the handle, for the handle you dont really have to do mapping, unless its some complex thing, mine had some spiral on it but i got too lazy so i just used a simple cilinder, you can add a spiral around it, and merge it in, or whatever, this is rather simple and is not really revelant to anything. After positioning the tube in a way i like i mesh edit selected some of the top verticles and scaled them down, making a smooth transition into the rest of the blade.

Then made a lazy handle end

Using atatch once again i made the sword into one object, since we all know that rose is very gay about multimeshes.

Next goes the uvw mappin, i use a box cos it fits the best, but act on the situation, for a cannon for example a cilinder would fit better probably and so on

Then you do uvw unwrap modifier, and click the giant edit button, if you cant find the giant edit button then dont ask me where to find the giant edit button, because the giant edit button is very clearly visible, it on a giant button says edit (like 4 people asked me this already >.<) .

Ill let you figure out all the settings in this your selves since it will take forever to explain, not to mention there are numerous tuts all over the net already covering the subject. so fish out render uvw template once your happy with the layout you see

and then some mumbo jumbo magic and bam you rendered a wireframe of your model

after that lets make some uber kewl textures, first some hawt silver for the blade

and some hawt red for the handle!

and now save and drop the saved texture on your object (or you can go through the long and boring way of setting materials in the material editor) and you gets hot textured swords

Best way to get the right size, import an another rose object and adapt

i dont use nvidia plugs, i use dds converter 2, refer to icon on desktop, if you want to find it jsut google the name, plenty of downloads, it automatically converts dds back and forth fitting for rose with its default settings so you dont have to pain your self trying to figure out that retarded nvidia plug in, aplha conversions work fine too, also can convert directly from and to psd, which is useful to save alpha from existing textures already. and can also batch convert as many files as you want.

There all done, was too lazy to import it in game but whatever, the uvw mapping is fully functional, if you are using sparks converter make sure you export as 3ds from max, if you use obj you will lose the uvw data.

Cheers
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Re: [TUT] Creating 3d from 2d and uvw mapping

Postby Juan on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Wow nice guide :O
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby lmame on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Nice one :)
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:44 am

Ey guys,

Not to be harsh but there are a few rules you need to consider making (low poly) models. Especially with Rose Online since they use extremely low polys models.

After seeing your sword i want you guys to prevent f***king up your own game. The triangles used for this model is basically the same as a character in rose online. (if you do not know what the triangle count stands for try to google it)

The texture space used for the sword is very bad, as in you've got a big space for your texture and only use about 15% used. Take a look @ models and textures from the rose directory. You will also find they do not use 512 because is just too high for that engine. The engine itself isn't state of the art and is not able to pump out 1mil of poly's while running smooth.

My advice check out tutorials on low poly modelling, and checking Rose models/weapons for models and textures. If you don't want a visual lagging game (stuttering 10 fps).

Good luck,

Shane
Holodeck Rose Online
Http://holodeckrose.hku.nl
Shane
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:00 pm

well first of all this is a tutorial for something completly else so i didnt bother with the whole spacing the texture out to fit better and all that jazz

secondly the texture is 512x512, now while most of the textures in rose are 256x256, it works fine with 512x512, i have had more than serveral textures of that size, it doesnt lag, i guess though if you acumulated enough objects on screen with that texture it might lag on lower end computers.

Thirdly same goes for the actual sword, the sword isnt high res. it has 982 verticles, while this is a bit higher than standard rose, just loaded a random rose model, its 564 verts. but anyway most of mine are in the handle, just cos i was lazy. so my handle has like 400. but going back to the point, as long as your models dont go into like 2000s and such, it will not cause any lag, especially not with 1000ish models (well unless you have like 200 players on screen running around with the same sword, but then it will lag anyway cos thats just how rose is lol), i run rose together with photoshop, 3dmax, firefox, msn and a bunch of shit loaded up and it doesnt even lag, not to mention i run it windowed which consumes more resources and my computer is deffinatly not state of the art, i run on a single processor p4 with 2.4ghz, so go figure.

anyway im not dismissing what you said. yes the texture placement is awful but tbh in cases like these, since i am using a 2 sided texture there isnt much point in stretching it out uber much, sometimes its just not worth it, when you are texturing a house for example, yes you will want to space out the texture as much as possible to be able to fit in as much as you can in the 256x256, i used 512 simply for demo purposes but yeah u probably should use 256. anyway back to the texturing part, you shuold probably rotate the frame so it faces upwards, then you can cut down pretty much half of the texture, going for something like 256x128, rose supports those fine too, as long as they are ^2 so to say, so you have 64,128,256,512,1024 and so on. id still render the texture in max in 512x256, infact id even normally render 1024x512 then, why? because its easier to edit in photoshop, once you have edited your texture you can resize it to anything you want.

Going on with the textures, try to make the textures as detailed as possible instead of making it on the actual model, if you shadow the texture it self correctly you would be able to skip doing some things in 3d, like for example in the original picture of the sword i made there is this red gem, which is a lot better to simply recreate in photoshop, if you do it well, from most angles it will look like its 3d, except for when you look directly from the side, but then half of rose models dont exist even cos like rose wings dont have thickness, nor do some of the swords lol, but anyway, what i was saying, try to emulate as much stuff as you can with alpha and shadowing and keeping the model as low poli as possible, also when making the lines, keep in mind that the more points your line has, the more verticles your model will have, my blade alone by it self, without the handle or the wings would only be like **counts mentally** about 80ish, nu more, the handle i made a bit detailed, so it should be in 350ish which is a little too high already for such a thing, you should try to make it like 250 ish. but once again this was a tut to demonstrate how to make 3D out of 2D using line art, not how to make it uber low res. just dont do the handle with 400 lol, you can make it fine with way less. if you really want to make it uber low, then make one cylinder with 2 height segments, and make it small, and do the insertion into the handle, then make an another one with one height segment and do the rest of the handle that way, plus you can reduce the cap segments from 18 to like 10, which will bring you down to like 50is for the handle, with some messing around you could probably do it even less, rose has a slight smoothing applied to objects once it is thrown in game, so it should have a proper result in the end.

So once again this tutorial was made for demonstration purposes of how making items from 2D works and how texturing in general works, i didnt show all the settings possible in the texture editor because that would take hours to explain, so you will just have to sit around and figure it out your self, im using r9 and i know that in tuts there, there is a very good tut that explains how to space your textures around, im sure the later versions have that too (nto sure about earlier) but they should have an equivalent in it too, for r9 in particular, just look about texturing a model plane. its this ww2 style plane thingy.

Anyway im done here lol, just to repeat once again, this was a tutorial to show how the mechanics work in general so you have a base idea, didnt figure someone would go biting me for bad texture placement, since it didnt even look like im trying in this lol.
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Muddmann on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:03 am

its a good tutorial none the less, Keep it up Sethayne, you are the only one making these tuts and I'm sure the community appreciates it.

Thanks again
Muddmann
Muddmann
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 am

Not to start off a big discussion.

You already said unless 200 people are running with the sword you will cause a lag, this is exactly why you should make it low poly 500 = very high in Rose online. Ofcourse you can make high poly stuff in the game but making a character 500 tri's and your sword 1000 tri's is just not the way to go.

And while you make the mistake off running everything in your background and still run Rose smooth has everything to do with the engine. The engine is old and rusty, while the cryengine smoothly runs around 2mil of tri's rose has a maximum of 300k? you can have the best videocard out there but it will not make a difference anymore just because the engine is old.

And scaling down 512 to 256 will give you a loss of details, your better of making it 256px from the start.

Once again i'm glad you make a tutorial for people, i'm just here to warn people about what will go wrong if you do this. But you also need to consider when making this tutorial, most people around rose dev have no idea about 3d modelling and making games, they will make this mistake and will screw up the game.

- Shane
2D/3D Artist
Holodeck Rose Online
Http://holodeckrose.hku.nl
Shane
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby lmame on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:28 am

Feel free to complete her tutorial or do a small one that shows what you are talking about :)
As you said, some people around here aren't familiar with 3DS or vertex count or whatever. If you show quickly some before / after differences with two swords (or something else) and different textures to show the end result is nearly the same, it'll be better ;)
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Hazuki on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Great tutorial!

Many thanks :).
Hazuki
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby stewbaby on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 am

This is a nice tut but anyone with education or training in modeling knows how to use reference images to create a 3d object. Like others have said check the poly counts of other weapons in rose. Lower poly count is recomended.
stewbaby
Smoulie
Smoulie

Next

Return to 3D discussions