Creating a helm in 3D studio MAX

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

Re: Creating a helm in 3D studio MAX

Postby merlon on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm

isnt there a way on 3ds where you can change the poly count? im not really familiar with it.
merlon
Antares
Antares

Postby Sethanye on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 pm

there was a modifier called optimize or something like that, that would decrease poli count
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby merlon on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:18 pm

ok, so would that help with the helmet and stuff? and laggg, and ....
merlon
Antares
Antares

Postby Sethanye on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:24 pm

well as i said check if it lags first of all, i cant tell the poli or vertex count just by looking at a screen shot, but yeah technically it should, i cant say i ever used the plugin lol
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Mello on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Erm, you can use "multi res" option to optimise your polycount, but thats not the best way to do it, and the mesh will maybe get messed up
D: You should use polygon editing mode when modding, based of faces (modeling with vertexes for a begginer would be to a litle hard but you can try tho ^^ personnaly I prefer modeling using faces)
You should minimise the polycount without using any other options, the better way is to not use options like "meshsmooth" or "turbosmooth" or whatever >< they double faces and quadruple vertexes! You can smooth your faces without doubling them or whatever, just try to find a face and a profile view of the thing you're going to model, then putting them on a plane using Front and Left or Right view and keep switching views to see if your model is on proportions. For a mask like this one, you shouldn't have more than 200-300polygons, it is only one half of the face, so it wouldn't be so poly eating O_O
Moreover, Another litle tip, While modeling, I advise you to use the R.O.S.E mesh that will be concerned by the model to have a kind of "preview" in 3DS to see if it suits corectly or not.
And.. I think thats all ^^" Don't forget to model in BIG size , its useless to make it litle at start, you'll make it a the good size when you will have to export it to ZMS =)
Thats the only things I can advise I think... If you have any questions feel free to ask ^^
Mello
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 pm

well editing in vertex mode to reduce counts is pretty complex tbh, thats why i didnt suggest it, till you get the hang of it you can create a bunch of empty holes and screw up your model lol.

as for mesh smooth and similar, rose has smoothing of its own, not a very good one lol but it does non the less
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Mello on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 am

Yeah rose's smoothing is sometimes strange O_O But it does not bad if the geometry is symetric and regular ^^
Mello
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Anowil on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 am

Hello again,

My apologies for not responding the last few weeks, I was busy with school events. I want to thank everyone who posted tips, compliments and advise on how to edite this helmet. I won't be making a rose compatible version off this helmet for the next few months, thanks to my school work I won't be able to.
I will however start with a few easier items such as weapons. Once again, thank you.
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Previous

Return to 3D discussions