Creating a helm in 3D studio MAX

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

Creating a helm in 3D studio MAX

Postby Anowil on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Hello there,

I am trying to "create" a helm in 3D studio Max so that I get a better feel for the program but it's not as easy as I anticipated. Could anybody give me a few pointers to for example "get" the amount of segments needed or other advice for how you should start off/create the helm I'm trying to add. For those who find it usefull the helm I am trying to add is Ulquiorra's hollow mask that looks like the picture below.

Many thanks
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Re: Creating a helm in 3D studio MAX

Postby Sethanye on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 pm

well to be fair u picked a very complicated object for someone who has no clue in 3ds max, read through my tuts they have some tips in there, apart from that id suggest u screw around with some more simple things till you move on to that, but in general i guess id start with a plane, then bend it slightly and then 4x4x4 deform it to fit around the head, after that extrude the elements on the helm that are supposed to stick out or be curved. but there is plenty of other ways to approach this really. The wing looking thing on the side of the head you should design as a separate thing all together, while the curves in the front would be easiest to do with a curve line and then turning it to 3d
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Anowil on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:22 am

Hey,

Thank you for your response, I've browsed through your tutorials and they were quite usefull. I'll try to create it with your advice now though it is true that the mask I am trying to create is a bit out of my league but I find that my skills improve more with difficult tasks rather then with the easier ones.
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby merlon on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm

I would do exactly as Sehtyane said, and actually do the TUTs, and you can probably find more over the internet for mor "Helm" like objects, ill see if I can find some.

EDIT: I think you could do this same thing with the helmets specific shape. Here's the link : http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/How-to-Make-the-300-Spartan-Helmet/24014
merlon
Antares
Antares

Postby Sethanye on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Anowil wrote:Hey,

Thank you for your response, I've browsed through your tutorials and they were quite usefull. I'll try to create it with your advice now though it is true that the mask I am trying to create is a bit out of my league but I find that my skills improve more with difficult tasks rather then with the easier ones.

that is a fair assessment, i learned my skills that way too, just i would not pick a task far too difficult otherwise you will forget all you learned 5 minutes after you finished the work
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Anowil on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Yes, I've noticed that aswell, that's why I'm making notes just in case I will forget. Though I have to say this might have been a bit way to far out of my league since I am making barely any progress haha..

*esspecialy since my 3D max crashed an I forgot to press the save button :shock:
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:27 pm

yeah you want to do that lol, max isnt a very crashy program but it also has no auto recovery so its very easy to turn hours of work into smoke
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Anowil on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Ok, after literally hours of getting to know the program and trying different methods and object's I'm still stuck on one part of the helmet, being the bone near his eye, would you have any advice on hwo I should do that part? I've linked an easier to see image down below.
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby mit1mit2 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Try to run trough these tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... BBFD64C532
Their the best i know.
mit1mit2
Rackie
Rackie

Postby Anowil on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Usefull tutorials, thank you
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Next

Return to 3D discussions