Lessening the Triangle count in my sword model

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

Lessening the Triangle count in my sword model

Postby Anowil on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:04 am

Hey again,

I modeled a sword in 3D max and tried to lessen the trianlge count so that it would be usefull in game. Unfortunatly, there are still a bit to many of them. Would anybody be able to tell me how I can reduce triangles while not loosing most of the shape?

Additional information:

Original design by Bleedman @ Deviantart

Triangles: 3183
Vetices: 1663
Normals: 1874
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Re: Lessening the Triangle count in my sword model

Postby Mello on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Owh, man, nice one :D but..
You're sword has for too much details for Roseonline. Remember its an old game.
You should delete all the litle spheres and make them a part of texture, or if you let them make Half spheres with 8-9faces, more would be useless.
Moreover, you must have less than 2000 faces or ROSE's 3D engine wont desplay it D: this would be hard without loosing some part of your sword.
You could use MultiRes tool, but it would split it a litle D: If you want I can try to reduce the polycount but I don't promise anything D: Just ulpload it somewhere and send me an MP if you want ^^"

~Mello.
Mello
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Anowil on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:33 am

Hey,

Thank you for your reply and your offer. If I can't get the amount right by the end of the week I'll upload it and send it to you. It's to bad that I mostlikely have to delete a few of the spheres since I wanted to give them a glow effect but it if it can't be helepd then so be it. If I do get the amount right I'll texture it and then release it, I hope to do this before halloween.

Thanks again,

A.
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Well you can definitely texture the 4 buttons on the sides, if you do a properly shaded texture it will be almost unnoticeable that they aren't actual 3d, thatll save you quite some faces, since you used quite a lot of faces on them, then, try to rid of extras like see how you done the very tip as a cone gets into a doughnut shape, remove that, leave the cone though, rose will smooth it enough for it to look proper and emulate the ring with a texture. Same goes for the bubbles on the blade, texture texture texture lol, if you want a realistic looking texture you can for example texture them in max, render and move to photoshop later, i sometimes do that, easier than to emulate 3d lighting in photoshop. umm reduce the side count on the handle quite a lot, just do a bare minimum, like 8 or something, cos players will almost not see it, cos it'll be covered by the hand. That should save you quite some in total, maybe itll be enough.
~ Learning Flash ~ Anyone Know Any Good Tutorial DVDs? ~
"Come Into My Dream, Let Me Show You Where I've Been.
Its You And Me I've Seen, Let Me Tell You What I Mean."
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Anowil on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey,

Thanks for you comment, I don't like killing my darlings but it seems that I have no choice.
The 3 bubbles on the blade should remain because they will have to "shine". The poly count is now EXCACTLY 2000, should I try to lower it or will 2000 be sufficient?
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm

should be enough, just idk how rose will react if there is like 50 people with that sword around.
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby Anowil on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm

huh, strange. When I scaled it down to the right size it suddenly got 17620 triangles :shock:

Edit*

Fixed it. This was possible by making a group of the sword, scalling the group and afterwards ungroup the objects.
Anowil
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Mello on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 am

1760 is far too much. A sword no matter how complicated it is shouldn't be more than 900polies O_O Well 1000 at least but it would be wasty i guess ^^"
Texture does everything (well almost) ^^
If you really want to make the sphere glowing, you can create a plane with a correct alpha chan on the place where the sphere texture stands and when adding it to ZSCs (that would divide the model in parts (1 would be Sword and 2 would be planes for glowing effects), add the glowing effect on it ^^
Immagine if like 10-30 ppl were this sword of 1xxx poly in same time, it will be sooooooo laggy o_Ô
Even if you have a nice computer, you'll have some freezes or lag spikes.
Ok if you send it, i'll give it a shot ='D

~~Mello
Mello
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby Sethanye on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm

it has nothing to do with the computer to be fair, modern games handle 50 times that poli count and their fine, its the limitations of the engine that starts to choke on anything that isn't chewed up for it.

As for multimeshing on a sword, don't go overboard, i never seen any weapon in rose using multimesh only armors and even those from jrose mostly. Normally you assemble the object into 1 and in your case render a two sided texture since you got the same thing on both sides.
Sethanye
Neko Chan
Neko Chan

Postby merlon on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 pm

I thought it was polygon count, and REALLY nice flambouyant sword

did i spell flambouant right?
merlon
Antares
Antares

Next