Skeleton Editing

This forum is for Graphics and 3D objects discussions.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
Client Editing is a delicate subject. osRose and osiRose will not support or use any Client Editing tool or results as a standard. So you are free to experiment, test, and develop there on Client Editing, but at your own risk

Skeleton Editing

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:07 pm

This is a repost of a topic I started at RZ
Been looking into the zmd skeleton for the player...thinking of playing around today and adding a few animation bones to the male.zmd skeleton and overlapping a few wing movement key frames into the idle motion...see if can get the wings to animate on the player...will share results if successful.

Concluded this to be a waste of effort considering you would have to rewrite every existing Avatar motion once the Male skeleton is modified.
But this is interesting and not a complete waste of time if we would like to change NPC or rather Monster skeletons and modify their Motion files to create new Mob animations, ( ie: add a new monster model or modify an already existing monster model, add a (weight) Skin Modifier to an already existing mobs skeleton and motion files !) This isn't an exhausting effort since they basically only have 5-10 motion files applied in the .chr table file. So if you are interested in the future to create or modify existing NPC zmo motion files.. This is a workable process and can be applied to NPC mobs.

Oringinal Post
So yeah got the new bones into the zmd.....
There's a process to adding the order of the zmo zms and zmd...took hours to work out...seems that you can add new bones and even overwrite ( actually save the newly added bone coordinates to and existing animation)

But as you see here I was able to add sample motion...but it's a super huge job retasking all the new skeleton to all the existing animations..you would actually have to rewrite every Avatar animation.

Within adding the new bones to the rig .. you have to add a skin modifier to the (mystery wing) which is another totally new issue..since while you use a sample wing as in this case the Astarot, when you overwrite the animation the (wing_bones I created) are all specific to the model (wing) used to create the xyz coordinates saved to the animation. If you don't understand, make a .smd conversion of a .zmo animation. Scroll down the .smd and below the skeleton and times are the specific coordinates logged for the appropriate zms model. So long winded as this explanation may seem It turns out it is possible
Would instead go to the effort to create NPC's or rather MOUNTS..you can add a player ride animation as kind of Flying motion (Superman zmo from Jrose) and then for the Mount in the .CHR the appropriate motions for idle, walk, run, etc. and use the pelvis bone as the attachment point. So Flapping moving wings more likely as a mount. On our server we plan to try this with a few animated wings from WoW which have several motion files and see if we can get one working as a mount
Last edited by AnimalCrackerz on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Re: Skeleton Editing

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 pm

Yep So it is a long waste of time if your going to redo all the existing Avatar motions just to add the additional bones to the Avatar and animation time frames.

But this is how I applied the new bones and embedded them to existing animations

I first used the 64x Rose Tool plugin to import the male.zmd skeleton (in 3dsMax 2010) ..then model meshes. But no animation...then modify by adding new bones to skeleton. Then export with Rose Tool and save as Male2.zmd. Store these .zms models in a separate folder don't want them overwritten during later steps.

Then created new scene..Imported original male.zmd skeleton then model meshes and animation.

This is important. If you try to use your modified skeleton..you will get a bone mismatch error and fail to load animation.

After all assets are imported to scene you then open Rose Tool and import the modified skeleton Male2.zmd.

Now in the scene there are two skeletons. Open the Hierarchy editor and delete all the duplicated bones from the modified skeleton (when you load your modified skeleton the import tool will ask to rename duplicate bones, choose yes to rename). I then took the newly added bones and connected them to Original male skeleton's appropriate connecting bone in this case "b1_neck".

Now to add the frame times to include triangles for the new bones I had to actually Import a wing model mesh. Select the imported wing/model and add a skin modifier. Then assign the new bones to the wing mesh..don't forget to place the wing in appropriate position.

Now you can render scene or skip render seems to export new Frame times to the newly re-written .zmo either way. (May have to double check by opening the .zmo in a .smd format). So once the wing mesh is added and working in scene. You can export the skeleton, mesh, and animation. Important ..when adding the model meshes (.zms files) to your client. You must use the very first ones created for the skeleton without an animation loaded..(we saved those in a separate folder so as not to be overwritten) The new model .zms generated while saving animations will have been saved to the wrong xyz time. They will be drawn to the first frame of the animation and not the skeleton Pose. So don't use those they will appear wrong ingame (skew and distorted)

But this process is so long and drawn out..It is obscene the effort to rewrite every Avatar animation. But worthwhile for Modding NPC mob models and existing animations

After exporting convert zmd and zmo's to .smd to review the skeleton and times. Each time refers to a single key frame and corresponding bone coordinates. So if your animation has 30 frames..then then you should see 30 different time frames for each skeleton bone/to/.zms mesh.
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Postby lazypenguin on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:56 am

Is there no way to currently import a skeleton + animations, modify the skeleton and then re-export the skeleton and all the animations?
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:40 am

Sure you can...you can import as fbx or 3ds or even dae. Take the format of your file and convert it to any of these formats. Then import to 3dsMax..but the issue is the RoseTool is it scales weird..like instead of importing model at inch it seems to import at mile scale. So importing your model you would have to import is as an obj and add a Skin Modifier. I usually add my weight in Blender to the obj. file then import to 3dsMax...this is going to sound weird..but you have to then convert it to .zms and export it out before you load the animation and skeleton. Re-import the new zms model with your Rose Tool and now load the animation file..This way the model automatically scales to the Rose Tool..dunno if that sounds crazy. But if you use the plugin and load models with animation..it imports super huge.

All that stuff above is about modifying existing rose model skeletons and animations. I am making a NPC for Easter Holiday event now. I will Post it and show how you can get insanely imaginative modifying existing Rose Models and Animations.
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:21 am

https://youtu.be/WRMSlQUwQpU

Easter event Mob. Hopefully.
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Postby lazypenguin on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Pretty cool, do you find it easier to combine the avatar skeleton with your new skeleton like that? Is that just to re-use the avatar animations?
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes it's just a perverse shortcut to reuse the avatar motions without having to create totally new motions for the model. It's just a way around skeleton bone mismatching when importing animations.
Well the process allows to use already existing animation motion files...but say for instance you convert a model from like FLYFF a monster mob.. but you can't use the animation due to it's a big hassle to convert the animation it's like in MilkShake or something like Ogre?
But within our client we have a mob that is somewhat close in shape and build, in this instance you can modify our existing models skeleton to the Imported Model.
The trick is to first import the original skeleton. Then modify it ( add new bones or unlink the existing and adjust their placement ). Then save/export and rename. This new skeleton is held aside.
Now you reload your Original .zmd skeleton which you choose to add to the Model, import the animation .zmo and your model .zms. Once scene loads.. now import your Modified .zmd Skeleton you had prepared before.
At this Point you can now delete the original skeleton. Now your scene has the Modified skeleton, New Model .zms and the Animation .zmo is still in the scene.. which is the issue in the first place. You can now export all the elements of the scene which by default on export will add the New bones and bone positioning to the animation .zmo.
So say you Make a model and would like to add the NPC animations as its set of motions. You would make a skeleton. It's better if you can bring an existing models animations with the model or even make your own. But creating animations is a TALENT. I personally stink at it but you know perhaps I will try to make a TuT on Importing models and skeletons from other games to rose. I would think that a more useful Topic. Admittedly this is less imaginative and rather an exotic procedure (I think Stupid is a description that might be being kicked around) As this is really a non existent issue. But I thought it would be interesting to share the scope that we can Modd our Models and Motion files.
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Postby lazypenguin on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Makes sense, looks like you have quite the talent so thank you for sharing. Seems that you've gained some good experience fighting the annoyances of the Rose client :-).
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Return to 3D discussions