Quality and crafting. What does it do????

Welcome in the osRose emulator Project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Quality and crafting. What does it do????

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 pm

I tried this first in the dev section of osprose but since nobody has responded i will try it here.
I started looking through the crafting code yesterday after completely fucking up all my craft recipes during a recent import of all the jrose evo items. :D
I got all the recipes fixed again but then i started to wonder about the way crafting works in irose/prose as opposed to in evo.

In irose/prose, the first item is usually listed as an item type such as 436 (some type of cloth) whereas in evo all the items are specific items with type and id.

When I craft a fairy wing, I can use 15 of any cloth I like, along with 15 iron threads and 10 bird feathers.

My question is, does anybody know what advantage can be gained by using 'Lace' (quality = 75) over 'tough cloth' (quality = 30)?
It has to do something otherwise there would be no point using anything but the cheap crap all the time.

In the current code, the 'MaterialType' value for the first recipe item is not even loaded into the server from the STB and is most definitely not used at all in the crafting code.
I have already fixed that by adding a 'MaterialType' member to the ProductList and modifying startup to load it in.
What I need to know is what the heck does Quality do for crafting? I never crafted anything in irose or pre-evo so i have no idea. :(

Currently it does nothing but that has to be changed.

I have also added a bunch of checks to make sure that people are not crafting stuff by packet injection (pretty easy to do at present)
The packet that comes in from the client only contains the crafted item type and id + the inventory slot numbers for the crafting mats.
All the server is doing is checking that those slots contain 'something'. It isn't checking the type, id or even the amount in those slots against the crafting recipe.

Basically you could have one cheap item in each of those slots then send a packet with the item id (crafted item) and the slot numbers.
The server does not check the mat ids.
The server does not check the number of items in the slots.
The server does not check the MaterialType.
The server will simply say "oh yes there is something in that slot. Passed the test. Next slot please!
As long as it passes the test for each slot, you get your item.

You could make a devil wing (cloth 100, Platinum thread X 30, little devil feather X 50) for 1 rusty iron, 1 twig and 1piece of cheap ass leather. :o

I fixed all that too. It checks everything now :D

The formulas for durability and stats are based on CON and SEN so what the heck is left for Quality?
I could improvise something to give it the chance of creating a 'blue' item on a chance that is proportional to the Quality, but I'm pretty sure it didn't work that way originally.

Anybody have any insights here?

I now have the code working completely. it successfully runs checks between the crafting recipes and the items in the player's slots and rejects anything that doesn't match up.
I had to add a few definitions to various places to make it all mesh up but it's done now.

Now what the heck should i do with Quality now that the server actually reads it and has it right there ready to use?

Any ideas people?
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Re: Quality and crafting. What does it do????

Postby Arnold on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:17 pm

its for the chance of succes
maybe something like if the used material is quality 30 and the quality of the item your making is 60 you would have a chance of succes of 50% but SEN might have something to do with the calculation or maybe thats for the chance of stats
Arnold
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm

does/did crafting ever fail??
I don't think I ever saw one fail.

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby rl2171 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 pm

In Pre-EVO, I think crafting did fail.

I could not tell you how much, but if you want, I can ask some of the old time crafters in NA about Pre-EVO crafting.
rl2171
Admin
Admin

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 pm

The more info the better.
I want to get this accurate.
Thanks Rob ;)

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby Drakia on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 pm

I'll see if ExJam can check any information he's got on this.
My favorite skill is scaring new users away.
If you haven't SEARCHED expect me to yell at you.
Drakia
ospRose dev team
ospRose dev team

Postby Blah4 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 am

Didnt it also give (higer chance for) a higher durability?
Blah4
ospRose dev team
ospRose dev team

Postby kaelestis on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Crafting in pre-evo could and did fail.

Quality is what let you used different types of materials to craft. The higher your CON the lower quality material you could use and still succeed. If you had low CON and used low Quality materials you would fail. This was most evident when Ash started crafting sportys in pre-evo and had to use Damascus or Tiar because lower quality materials could fail. Ash could use lower quality metals than those and still succeed (cause he had high con) but the % of success wasn't 100%. When other crafters could craft sporties some still failed with Tiar because they had low CON. Basically, it allowed you to craft items cheaper by investing more CON into your character.

At least that's how it was supposed to work. Hope that helps.
kaelestis
Little soul
Little soul

Return to Support - OspRose Emulator