Quests not working so well

Bugs found for osProse project.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Quests not working so well

Postby PurpleYouko on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:32 pm

I went through pretty much the entire story quest the other day to test it out.

here are the results.

Everything works fine through the missing kids (with the exception of the monster children not attacking me when they spawned).
Everything in the soul crystal part worked Ok too except that i got no reward at the end.
The fairy appeared and set me off on the mushroom quest which worked fine up to the point where i had to kill infected pomics. They do not spawn when you have this quest and kill regular pomics.
After spawning some of my own i completed the quest and continued the story up to the point where Mairard sends you to Junon Polis. At this point you should get free passage on the boat but you don't.
You also don't get passage back on the boat from JP after picking up the item there.
Finally after delivering the box back to Mairard, he gives you the item in the box but it never goes into your inventory or even tells you that you recieve it. This item should be the Junon Mask.

Then it all ends, normally to be restarted a bit later (level 30 I think) though I don't know if the quest actually went beyond this in pre-evo (incidentally, we should just be able to import the quests from evo shouldn't we?)

The next time I re-logged, the fairy appeared to me and started me on the whole sequence all over again. What's the deal with that? is it just because I am past the end of the quest sequence?
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Re: Quests not working so well

Postby rl2171 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 pm

I am guessing, but does your quests get saved to the database when completed?

If not, I would assume because they didn't, the server assumes you have not taken them, thus have to start over.

Well, just some thoughts!
rl2171
Admin
Admin

Postby PurpleYouko on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

They are saved in a rather strange way.
The whole lot is saved in a binary 'blob' field that is impossible to read with a database editor.
Makes it tricky to tell what is going on.
I need to look into the quest system a little to get a better handle on how it all works in osProse.

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby soccerstar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:49 pm

PurpleYouko wrote:They are saved in a rather strange way.
The whole lot is saved in a binary 'blob' field that is impossible to read with a database editor.
Makes it tricky to tell what is going on.
I need to look into the quest system a little to get a better handle on how it all works in osProse.

the blob system is a problem i have been running into with osirose. i / we need to find a way to edit and maybe implement a new system.
Search, Just Do It.
soccerstar
Clown
Clown

Postby PurpleYouko on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 pm

take a look at the way it is done in osrose.
Each quest is stored by id and owner in the database with a boolean 'active' field.
It's pretty easy to see which quests you have done that way. You can also reset a quest chain to any desired point by editing the database.
I think i might try to implement a hybrid system that works with the QSD files as osirose and osprose do, but records the quest status as it is done in osrose.
It's going to take a while to really understand the system though. It's kind of icky in there. :(

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby lmame on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:14 pm

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's perhaps the same system as iRose used for items and stuff for BLOB. Basically it was all bit shifting and stuff, pretty nasty when you don't have the way to do. I never tried the quest part though.
The good part of this system is that in one record you got all (for example one record for all items, or all storage), though bad point is that it's nearly impossible to simply edit it.
I prefer the osrose version since it's much more easy to work with.
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby Drakia on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Well, data should be stored so it's easy for the computer to read, not a person ;) And the quests are stored by essentially dumping the entire QuestSomethingOrOtherList struct for the user into the database, which makes it extremely simple to load it back up, you just read that entry into a QuestSomethingOrOtherList struct, and all your data is back exactly how it was before saving.
From how the quests have worked so far, spawning the INfected Pomics should be done via quest and a quest command, so if you enable quest debugging, you cna check to see if something is being called, and make sure that it has code in it. ExJam might have just missed a part of the quest code :P
I'll also look into the spare code I have to see if there's anything in it that didn't get copied over.

Oh, also, if we switch to the same system that OSRose uses, then we get all the problems it has. Partial saves, long saves, corrupt saves if somehing dies mid-save, etc.
My favorite skill is scaring new users away.
If you haven't SEARCHED expect me to yell at you.
Drakia
ospRose dev team
ospRose dev team

Postby lmame on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Perhaps the way the do it is great and at a moment I thought about using it for storage and items. Though it's not really cool when you work on it.
As for "like osrose", I was rather speaking about the mysql way, it's not incompatible with the qsd reading. It just needs quest list and quest switch / var record as it's in blob.

For now there is no good qsd editor nor quest reading tool.
lmame
Admin
Admin

Postby PurpleYouko on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:35 pm

That was what i was thinking too.

The blob system is great as long as it is working perfectly. Trouble is, half the time it isn't.
I was thinking of setting up a temporary save structure similar to osrose, which can work alongside the blob and mirror the values that it holds.
It will help us to figure out any errors.
Once working perfectly we can ditch the osrose type save.

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby lmame on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Yep. And I guess in the end I'll do the same for osrose for storage and items.
lmame
Admin
Admin

Return to Bugs