Rose in Godot engine

A forum to show of the stuff you did for your server.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Rose in Godot engine

Postby lazypenguin on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:04 pm

I've been planning/working on getting the ROSE assets into a new custom engine for a while and finally settled on the Godot engine. Progress has been slow as I've been jumping between various ROSE related projects for a while (project 137, unreal importer, blender importer, collada converter, custom opengl engine, etc.) Not to mention my real job..... I've finally settled on the Godot engine and the first thing I did was import ZMS/ZMD/ZMOs.

Here's a quick scene I threw together (click to see gif):
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Re: Rose in Godot engine

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Nice

I've been looking at the godot engine a bit for some other projects.
I'm not so fond of Unity so it will be nice to see if it can be built in something like this.
I'm very interested to see where this goes. :D
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby lazypenguin on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Wasn't a fan of unity either. Godot has been okay so far but we'll see how it handles some of the more complicated stuff down the line. I think it should be okay, open source is a good advantage and it's quite easy to extend the core engine.

I'm hoping I can make some good progress on this project :). Been working on importing maps and started with the terrain. Implemented a converter to create heightmap images from HIM files:

So far so good. Unfortunately Godot doesn't have a built in terrain system so I'll have build my own but I think it shouldn't be too complicated.
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Totat on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 am

are those moldies using the character's bones lol
I make animations and 2d effects
Totat
Pomic
Pomic

Postby lazypenguin on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 am

are those moldies using the character's bones lol

Haha nah, the moldies actually have same/similar skeleton to the avatar so I'm just re-using the animation. The NPCs seem to also have skeletons so it's possible to use animations for them as well:

Today I wrote a script to get the heightmap images rendered in Godot. Now I gotta figure out a texturing strategy and then get started on collisions. Realistically would need to optimize the rendering rather than drawing the whole terrain at once but I'll cross that bridge later.

lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Totat on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:44 am

Oh I see! thanks
I make animations and 2d effects
Totat
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Tsuki on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 am

Quite an interesting project, will definitely keep an eye on it. Let me know if you need a hand and I'll see what I can do in my spare time. I'm only a client dev though so don't expect any magic coding from me xD.
Tsuki
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby lazypenguin on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Tsuki wrote:Quite an interesting project, will definitely keep an eye on it. Let me know if you need a hand and I'll see what I can do in my spare time. I'm only a client dev though so don't expect any magic coding from me xD.

Well there's lots to do...For example right now I'm only rendering everything as unshaded since I didn't to play with PBR materials. Would be good if materials could be shaded and then affected by light!

Still working on texturing the terrain. I've successfully converted my terrain mesh generator to a "tilemap" system to match the ROSE terrain texturing style. Just having a problem with the tiles not matching the correct place in the map. Notquite sure yet if it's an issue I'm having when reading the TIL files or what.

lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Tsuki on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:43 am

Might not be that it's loading the wrong tiles. Could be that the way you're reading things is wrong. The ZON is what stores the textures you can use in the map. From that you get two options when texturing, tiles and brush. Tiles is just placing one texture at a time while the brush places multiple different textures so you can get those perfect curves in your textures. On maps like Junon this is all setup and works, but on maps like Geb Desert it's not and when using the brush you just get a bunch of different textures instead of the ones that match.
Tsuki
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Postby lazypenguin on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:49 am

Hmm I'd be interested to know more about the brush feature? I've just been using the tiles and it came out okay. You were right, I was reading the TIL in the wrong order so it was displaying wrong.

Here is an unshaded but texture junon!

lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Next

Return to Pimp My Rose