How about a map editor?

This is a sub forum dedicated to an open source map editor.
Don't post in it about another subject

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
This is a sub forum dedicated to an open source map editor.
Don't post in it about another subject

How about a map editor?

Postby T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Well, I was wondering, why don't we put our heads together and make an OS map editor for osrose?
We could all work on it together (what would speed up the process, because it takes some time on your own :p) and there would finally be one(because right now everyone's just bugging exjam and xadet for their private ones )

So IF we would have enough people, and everyone agrees, would YOU be willing to help?
Last edited by T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Grave
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Re: How about map editor?

Postby csharp on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Not everyone likes the same programming language and not everyone knows how to work with a 3D API/Engine :o I question tho do you know how to program? :geek:
csharp
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 pm

You are correct, not everyone likes to program in the same programming language, but take me for instance, I like C/C++, but I can adapt to another language if necessary + since we are talking on a forum for rose servers coded in C/C++ I'm guessing MOST people who know how to code here, will know C/C++. Next up, I think a lot of us are here to learn too, not just to have a rose server(well, at least that's why I'm here), I never used a 3D engine in C++(well, there was this one time, but it wouldn't be the same type of 3d engine, so nvm that), but yet I'd like to learn using it.

Final, why would ANY of the 2 things you mentioned would lead to a conclusion I can't program?
I've been programming since I was like 12 (lol @ delphi and regular html), sure, I'm not as good as most of the more known guys in this community, but would that mean I can't do anything?

I would be able to make it on my own, it would just take SUCH A LONG FREAKIN time I don't even have the willpower to complete it :p Since I would have to do a lot of tutorials and stuff, while learning from a real person goes a LOT faster, believe me. (of course I'm not insinuating everyone else should do all the work).

+ even if I wouldn't know how to program, does that mean this ain't a good idea?

EDIT:
You know what, tonight, when I'm done with my updated version of my launcher, I'm going to start this project anyway. Going to keep it simple at first, so it'll be just a map viewer at first, but with that goal in mind I wouldn't care if I'm not able to complete the editor itself, since I'd have a viewer anyway :p

So if anyone would like to join in on the project, just let me know, in that case I'll setup an svn.
T-Grave
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby csharp on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:59 pm

There is a map viewer in the tool section.
csharp
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:03 pm

csharp wrote:There is a map viewer in the tool section.

OS? Could get in handy as a reference and "guiding" line when I'm working on this.
T-Grave
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby csharp on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 pm

csharp
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:19 pm

T-Grave
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Re: How about a map editor?

Postby csharp on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:21 pm

btw if you never done any 3D Programming I suggest you start with XNA it's alot easier to do stuff in XNA then in C++ using DirectX/OpenGL if you got no experience at all :D
csharp
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby T-Grave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Ok, I'm finishing up the update to my launcher atm, after the upload I'm going to do some research on it, thanks for the tip ;)
T-Grave
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby lmame on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:31 pm

If I got time I could help, but if I got time.
Another interesting thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2246&start=0
The world is full of love and peace ^_^
lmame
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to [Project] Map Editor