[ExJam's Client] Work in progress (iRose)

Project to create a new client based on new file formats and eventually a new 3D engine.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Re: [ExJam's Client] Work in progress (iRose)

Postby wolfwing on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 am

5oregon5 wrote:Well i'm being stubborn and starting out with c++ cause I had taken Javascript/html/css as an introduction to "programming" well the javascript parts are helping out a lot on some things in c++ (basically just learning how its all done in c++) not like I was a brain at javascript...i'm still a hello world programmer D:

Even though having some experience in Javascript, I suggest you "forget" it because it possibly teaches you bad habits in C++.
Also stay stubborn, I stayed stubborn on learning C++ when people told me to stop or learn something else like Python.
Also it's OK you're still a hello world programmer, the first 20/30 things I wrote was complete shit anyway :lol: And at least you're willing to do something to learn and contribute, IMO this already makes you the better kind of OsRose user.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby 5oregon5 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 pm

wolfwing wrote:
5oregon5 wrote:Well i'm being stubborn and starting out with c++ cause I had taken Javascript/html/css as an introduction to "programming" well the javascript parts are helping out a lot on some things in c++ (basically just learning how its all done in c++) not like I was a brain at javascript...i'm still a hello world programmer D:

Even though having some experience in Javascript, I suggest you "forget" it because it possibly teaches you bad habits in C++.
Also stay stubborn, I stayed stubborn on learning C++ when people told me to stop or learn something else like Python.
Also it's OK you're still a hello world programmer, the first 20/30 things I wrote was complete shit anyway :lol: And at least you're willing to do something to learn and contribute, IMO this already makes you the better kind of OsRose user.

I'm learning c++ from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Princ ... 0321543726

Once I learn c++ you say I should learn OpenGl? Why that? and not DirectX?
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Juan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

OpenGL is cross-platform. This is the main raison!
Don't try to argue about their capabilities / features, it's useless to compare two good APIs.
In my humble opinion, the DirectX API have a better layout. DirectX with COM looks more object oriented. But some people will prefer the state-programming of OpenGL, so...

Anyway, you can easily switch from one to another if you stay in the basic things (like a ROSE engine ;) ). The shaders, matrix, vertex... concepts are more importants than the API in itself.
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby wolfwing on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 am

As Juan said, all a matter of preference.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby PurpleYouko on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm

I found OpenGL 1.1 to be very easy to learn compared with DX9
In both cases the versions are very old and do not require a graphics card in order to work properly

On trying to learn newer versions of OpenGL I came across massive amounts of conflicting advice about which headers to use and to be quite honest I threw in the towel after wasting the best part of an entire week trying to get any kind of 3.0 to work at all. All the tutorials just tell you that the files should already be on your computer. Well they aren't on any of my computers and I couldn't find a single reliable source for any of the configurations that were discussed.
In short it is a severe pain in the ass trying to configure OpenGL at anything beyond 1.1

Later versions of DirectX are easy to compile provided you don't try doing it in codeblocks. The SDK seems to be incompatible with MingW so you have to use Visual Studio or something with the microsoft compiler.
DX is a lot harder to get the hang of but in the long run I think it's the better choice since there are no 3rd party software headers to contend with.
Need to lookup information on NARose items, skills, quests?
Now featuring a newly completed skill tree for all classes
Formatting fixed for different resolutions

"A Gazelle is nothing but a giraffe plotted logarithmicaly"
PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby wolfwing on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:05 pm

PurpleYouko wrote:I found OpenGL 1.1 to be very easy to learn compared with DX9
In both cases the versions are very old and do not require a graphics card in order to work properly

On trying to learn newer versions of OpenGL I came across massive amounts of conflicting advice about which headers to use and to be quite honest I threw in the towel after wasting the best part of an entire week trying to get any kind of 3.0 to work at all. All the tutorials just tell you that the files should already be on your computer. Well they aren't on any of my computers and I couldn't find a single reliable source for any of the configurations that were discussed.
In short it is a severe pain in the ass trying to configure OpenGL at anything beyond 1.1

Later versions of DirectX are easy to compile provided you don't try doing it in codeblocks. The SDK seems to be incompatible with MingW so you have to use Visual Studio or something with the microsoft compiler.
DX is a lot harder to get the hang of but in the long run I think it's the better choice since there are no 3rd party software headers to contend with.

That's because your work computer doesn't support newer OpenGL versions!
If you want to learn OpenGL, which certainly isn't something you want to start learning right away, go for OpenGL 3.0+.

And as PurpleYouko said, the files are not on your computer, but I could even setup a tutorial on setting up an environment to work with the latest OpenGL versions (and older).

Also I advice you to stay away from Code::Blocks as this dev environment supports writing BAD code, as all warnings and most error detections are turned off by default!!!
I once turned them all on and I got several thousands of warnings when compiling.
So you should get started with visual studio or QT Creator. Even NetBeans is a good dev environment with very wide C++11 support, it's a bit complicated though.
Visual studio is definitely the easiest to get into and to get started with.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby Juan on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Better use a text editor like vim or emacs than a crappy editor than Code::Blocks which offer nothing more than just solutions.
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby PurpleYouko on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 pm

That's because your work computer doesn't support newer OpenGL versions!

lol
That's true enough but that is only because I have not got a graphics card on this machine.
I also spent a lot of time simply researching which versions of glu.h and glew.h to use. (they are supposed to automatically adjust everything to run whatever version of opengl you like) but I could never even manage to get anything to compile with them (on any computer including the 3 i have at home) let alone run.

IMO DX is a lot easier to set up and use. just a little more difficult to learn the syntax.

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

Postby wolfwing on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:09 am

Glu and glew are both outdated.
If I remember correct glew is replaced by GL3W and I use GLFW3 instead of glu. I found GLFW3 better working for newer OpenGL versions than freeglut.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby PurpleYouko on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:50 pm

yup and that just emphasizes my point :lol:
For someone just starting out in graphics programming it's ridiculously confusing.
There is no central repository of stuff for opengl. It's spread all over the internet and nobody agrees on anything.
Everybody who writes the tutorials has their own favorite mix of 3rd party files but never tells us how to actually get them.

PurpleYouko
Rose Guru
Rose Guru

PreviousNext

Return to [Project] Custom client (new 3d engine, new files formats)