[ExJam's Client] Work in progress (iRose)

Project to create a new client based on new file formats and eventually a new 3D engine.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Re: [ExJam's Client] Work in progress (iRose)

Postby 5oregon5 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:41 am

How incomplete is this? What's left to do? I'm learning C++ so i'm looking for good projects to work on. :D What's left to do here? is it nearly done? or not even close?
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby wolfwing on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 pm

I would say not even close.
Also this code is very good code and you should do your best to learn from it.
BUT! DO ABSOLUTELY NOT COPY OSROSE SERVER CODE OR TRY TO LEARN FROM IT. OsRose really isn't something you should try to learn from. I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but the OsRose code is absolute shit.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

Postby 5oregon5 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:03 pm

wolfwing wrote:I would say not even close.
Also this code is very good code and you should do your best to learn from it.
BUT! DO ABSOLUTELY NOT COPY OSROSE SERVER CODE OR TRY TO LEARN FROM IT. OsRose really isn't something you should try to learn from. I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but the OsRose code is absolute shit.

I've had that code for a long time and I was planning on cleaning it but I've been advised by a lot of people not to, so its just collecting dust. What do you recommend to finish it? Any tips? Or warnings?
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Juan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

My advice would be to find an army of motivated people. The core things like network, 3D engine are mostly there and now you must do all the boring stuff. Like all the dialogs, handle all the packets...

Like wolfwing said, this code is really good. With some C++11 tweaks, you would have a really professional project.
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby 5oregon5 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Juan wrote:My advice would be to find an army of motivated people. The core things like network, 3D engine are mostly there and now you must do all the boring stuff. Like all the dialogs, handle all the packets...

Like wolfwing said, this code is really good. With some C++11 tweaks, you would have a really professional project.

lol An army xD Well i'm basically still a "Hello, World!" coder. And I really wanna learn actual programming and c++ I'm thinking this project would help me learn if I try to work on it.
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Juan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah an army of at least 5 peoples. Doing a core-engine can be really challenging and therefore motivating. This is why a relatively skilled guy like exjam can do it alone without being bored.

When it comes to do the repetitive tasks which are the game mechanics, testing them, fix them... no one will be there anymore. It's not like when you create your game from scratch and you have to use your imagination. In this client's case, we look like some crazy chinese peoples copying dumbly a game content. It could be different if you have a huge server with a awesome community and gain your motivation from your players or from money ;).
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby 5oregon5 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Juan wrote:Yeah an army of at least 5 peoples. Doing a core-engine can be really challenging and therefore motivating. This is why a relatively skilled guy like exjam can do it alone without being bored.

When it comes to do the repetitive tasks which are the game mechanics, testing them, fix them... no one will be there anymore. It's not like when you create your game from scratch and you have to use your imagination. In this client's case, we look like some crazy chinese peoples copying dumbly a game content. It could be different if you have a huge server with a awesome community and gain your motivation from your players or from money ;).

Any idea on self learning how to do all of this? (not the making an army part >.>) but making a client core engine and server-client connecting? These are the kinds of things I wanna learn. Any ideas on where to start. My motivation is learning ._.
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby Juan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 pm

I would start with an other language: like C# with XNA or SharpDX. This way, you can focus only on the principes while being close to the C++ way to do it.

Give you some easy challenges for network and 3D, but still useful. On top of my head:
1) Creates your own parser for an easy file format (STB, STL...)
2) Doing a bot for ROSE that connect itself and execute some GMs commands.
3) Implements an online viewer using JavaScript and WebGL
4) ...
Sometimes you will be blocked on a part. Come back on it 6 months and you will see that you learned somewhere else how to solve them. ;)
Juan
Rackie
Rackie

Postby 5oregon5 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:05 am

Well i'm being stubborn and starting out with c++ cause I had taken Javascript/html/css as an introduction to "programming" well the javascript parts are helping out a lot on some things in c++ (basically just learning how its all done in c++) not like I was a brain at javascript...i'm still a hello world programmer D:
5oregon5
Pomic
Pomic

Postby wolfwing on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 am

Juan wrote:I would start with an other language: like C# with XNA or SharpDX. This way, you can focus only on the principes while being close to the C++ way to do it.

Give you some easy challenges for network and 3D, but still useful. On top of my head:
1) Creates your own parser for an easy file format (STB, STL...)
2) Doing a bot for ROSE that connect itself and execute some GMs commands.
3) Implements an online viewer using JavaScript and WebGL
4) ...
Sometimes you will be blocked on a part. Come back on it 6 months and you will see that you learned somewhere else how to solve them. ;)

Don't listen to him, I started with C++ and didn't have a problem with it.
Also why implement an online viewer? Why go to another language?
Instead do the same thing ExJam did, learn OpenGL (3.3) and make your own model viewer.
XNA and SharpDX are far from the C++ way to do it and C# lacks the best thing C++ has, pointers.

Also if you plan on modding TRose, learn ASM and the basics of writing an inject dll.
wolfwing
Clown
Clown

PreviousNext

Return to [Project] Custom client (new 3d engine, new files formats)