Unity3D

Project to create a new client based on new file formats and eventually a new 3D engine.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Unity3D

Postby shockers on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Guys!

Since Unity3D already has build-in in tools like particles, lights, light mapping, shaders, terrain editors etc. I decided to tryout the potentials of the Unity3D engine, who doesn't want to play rose online on a iPad? :lol:
To get started I needed some rose online content in Unity3D to play around with.

Terrain
First of all I build a rose heightmap converter to the Unity terrain system.
Special thanks to rl-1 and xadet for sharing the c# .HIM handler.

I converted the rose online *TOWNNAME*_PLAN_RENDERING.dds map to a splatmap texture to define the right textures to the Unity3D terrain.

Character,NPC & Animations
Thanks to cssvb94I managed to get the rose online character & npc to SMD's.

Imported the SMD files in 3dsmax with this plugin. Create a FBX export from 3dsmax for the Unity engine.

Same flow for the weapons, armor...

Buildings & Props
I used a DirectX ripper to get the whole scene at once instead of manually getting each building/prop exported.
All the buildings & props where properly ripped and imported at a 0,0,0 world coordinate in 3dsmax.
From this point I created a FBX export with buildings & props.

Environment
All the exported content needed to be placed manually :shock: on the terrain.

Coding
I used a RPG framework called UniRPG extension to get things "running".

Conclusion
Within Unity3D you can setup things really fast! Especially with the UniRPG plugin you can easily create a rose online clone.
I understand there is a lot missing for now but the Unity3D community is huge and provides a lot of knowledge and assets to get you started. Since this was a experiment I still don't know if I'm willing to continue working on this project.
Maybe I've I can get my hands on the lightmap 3dsmax plugin to get all the object exported in place and UniRPG will implement a multiplayer option lets see what happens. ;)

Demo
Here is a short demonstration what I've done along the way.
:!: Rose Online Unity3D Demo :!:
shockers
Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean

Re: Unity3D

Postby Circa on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Neat!
Circa
Clown
Clown

Postby Cellcote on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm

That looks cool!
Cellcote
Rackie
Rackie

Postby AnimalCrackerz on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:42 pm

That looks very cool but last i checked the only multiplayer capability was an addon that creates more of game lobby multiplayer connection. might want to check into that before you put too much effort into this project.. I looked into it a few months ago and the multiplayer coding for it was like 1500$
AnimalCrackerz
Pomic
Pomic

Postby henriques on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 am

As you could export the movements of the characters?
henriques
Smoulie
Smoulie

Postby Qix on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Any chance of you hosting this project somewhere? I know this is old, and there's a good chance you have since deleted it, but it'd be worth checking out. I'd love to write code for this, but I'm not so hot on the unity front. This is an impressive amount of work.
o-o
Qix
Smoulie
Smoulie

Return to [Project] Custom client (new 3d engine, new files formats)