Make a new game

Whatever you want to talk :)

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Forum rules
You can talk about just whatever you want here.

Make a new game

Postby WiseGuy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello all

I want to ask as follows:

If you are going to make a new game say type RPG for PC or mobile, what are the things that are needed & what kind of workforce do you need?
for example: Programmer, graphic designer, writer

thank you
It is nice to be important
but very very important to be nice
WiseGuy
Pomic
Pomic

Re: Make a new game

Postby L3nn0x on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm

It's very dependent on the scope of the project. If you think AAA games like Skyrim or Destiny or Anthem, it's about $100M and between 200 and 300 people working on it for a couple of years. It can also be a one man project finished in one weekend.

In general for resources for RPGs (the most complex type of game you can make btw) you want assets : everything graphics, from pictures to level design, sound from background music to sound effects, gameplay and difficulty scaling. You also want a story with character design, various items, actions, enemies.

There's not much difference between PC and mobile, apart from the fact that mobiles are much more limited in terms of raw power so you'll want to tone down your graphics, change your UI to be touchscreen friendly and adapt your gameplay to be playable in short sessions.

If you don't have all of that but still want to make a RPG, try RPG Maker. It's a software that provides an absurd amount of assets and all of the framework you'll need to make a basic RPG. You'll need to be able to script in Ruby if you want to make a more personalised game, but it's a pretty good start I'd say.
L3nn0x
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby WiseGuy on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:59 am

L3nn0x, thank you for this kind reply

of course what I'm talking about is not just making games using RPG Maker, Renpy etc.

but funders want me to make a new game from scratch, for example with one of the following engines:
1. Construct 2
2. GameMaker: Studio
3. Unity
4. Godot Game Engine
5. Unreal Engine 4
6. DiligentEngine

if you have experience about this, it is possible to share the experience here, whatever steps should be taken. As an example:recruit workers with certain specifications etc.

Thank you in advance
WiseGuy
Pomic
Pomic

Postby L3nn0x on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Well first of all you want to request a game design document (GDD). That will give you the scope of the project and it'll be used to estimate everything, choose the game engine and know which people to recruit.
Then you want to write down a contract with your founders for your compensation. You also want to think about contracts for the people you might recruit, what you're gonna pay them.
Then decide on the best game engine that suits your needs.
start creating a prototype, iterate over the GDD given the prototype and how fun it is to play it, then update the prototype with the new GDD and so on.
I'd recommend to start creating the prototype with your unique selling point, what makes your game different. Then gameplay. Graphics and sound probably should come next. Once you have a good set, scale up your prototype, see how it goes.

The GDD should always be up to date as it is the ground truth of your game. Recruit people as you need them, but I'd recommend not going on a recruiting spree especially if you don't really know what you're doing.

That's about it, the steps given here can be broken down in smaller steps but that's the gist of it
L3nn0x
osiRose dev
osiRose dev

Postby WiseGuy on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:18 am

thank you again L3nn0x
very useful for me and others here who have the same passion.

yes, I will talk about GDD with funders in the next meeting.

Hopefully this will be realized soon :)
WiseGuy
Pomic
Pomic

Return to Whatever