Extracting 3d models and textures

Project to create a new client based on new file formats and eventually a new 3D engine.

Moderators: osRose dev team, ospRose dev team, osiRose dev team, Moderators

Extracting 3d models and textures

Postby namtec on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:26 am

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I saw this forum section saying "new 3d engine, new file formats" and was wondering if there was a way to extract 3d models and even textures. Is it possible to do this? Can the 3d models even be opened in other applications for editing or was it proprietary? I want to tweak them as a way of getting started before I even try to start my own private server. I may even try to import the stuff into Unreal Engine and develop my own maps for each zone based on how I always felt they should have been designed. Any help is appreciated. Just a note, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to programming, but I have modified textures and slight model editing in other games like elder scrolls.
namtec
Little soul
Little soul

Re: Extracting 3d models and textures

Postby Circa on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 am

Think there's a converter which allows it to open up in ogre3d, forgot the details, but pretty sure you'd be able to convert it to whatever you want after, just not back to rose engine. http://forum.dev-osrose.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5106&hilit=ogre3d
Circa
Clown
Clown

Postby lazypenguin on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:49 am

Hi,

First step is to extract the files from the VFs. There are several tools that accomplish this but not all of them work for Evo clients. You’ll have to try a few and try your luck.

For the models, Circa’s recommendation is good. You can convert the files to ogre files and use a tool that supports ogre files.

Alternatively it might be better to see if you can get a hold of the original 3ds max scripts. They’re floating around somewhere and should have better support for things but I’ve never used them.

For map editing you could start with Xades map editor which works fairly well. As far as I know there’s no other way to easily edit maps (maybe the 3ds scripts support maps too?)
lazypenguin
Pomic
Pomic

Postby namtec on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks for the speedy relies.
namtec
Little soul
Little soul

Return to [Project] Custom client (new 3d engine, new files formats)